55th Annual Highland Maple Festival

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by Vicolette, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

This one is perfect for those with a sweet tooth. The festival has been ongoing since 1958 in Highland County, Virginia which is west of Charlottesville. There will be cloggers, bluegrass, arts and crafts, maple sugar tours and all kinds on "maple infused" goodies like donuts, maple glazed chicken, pancakes with fresh maple syrup and candy. I'd love to be at this one with fork in hand to sample the sweeties.

2. Hpo

Hpo New Member

im such a huge fan of maple syrup.. every time i go there i stuff myself on pancakes drenched with the local-harvested maple syrup and the yummy fresh maple donuts made by the local Ruritans. anyone visiting, i too would suggest hitting the main street of Monterey to check out the street vendors selling crafts, maple products, and Kettle Korn.

3. alfosnsoriviera

alfosnsoriviera New Member

While at the festival, you gotta see the Sugar House where sugar water is funneled into the only piggy back evaporator to be found in the southern states. I also suggest the visiting the Hands and Harvest Festival, which happens in October 10 - 13 in Highland County.

4. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Another "great tasting" festival in October is the Suffolk Peanut Fest. It will be celebrating its 36th year October 10 thru October 13. Plenty of entertainment, contests, music, demolition derby, motorcycle rally, amusement rides, and of course, peanuts galore. Suffolk has a long history with peanuts. Two of my aunts worked in the Planter's Peanut factory in Suffolk way back in the day. Going to be a lots of fun in a nutshell!