accomodation for 5?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by triplets, Sep 2, 2006.

1. triplets

triplets New Member

Hi,
    We are coming over from England next Aug and intend touring Arizona for two weeks. Have been to the Grand Canyon in 1991 but would love to visit again. This time though there are 5 of us, we have 8 yr old triplets! Any suggestions for fun lodging, not to expensive? Any other ideas the kids would like would be welcome, they all love nature, insects, snakes etc!

2. d360

d360 Administrator

Hi Triplets,

What part of Arizona would you like to see? If you staying up around the Grand Canyon then if you haven't been to Sedona yet there are some great hotels and resorts and beautiful natural features. Do you like the heat? anything outside in August will be very warm with Temperatures ranging from 90–120°F (32–48°C), the kids may enjoy a resort with a pool.

As far as snakes Arizona is the right place to go. I recall there are about 60+ varieties of snake of which 10+ types are poisonous (be careful). One interesting sightseeing destination may be the Montezuma Castle Monument located between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Then heading toward California Lake Havasu is another nice location on the Arizona California border.

Check out the Arizona Map for a better idea. Since I noticed your post in Las Vegas as well it seems you could make a nice loop out of your trip. In California you could spend a day at Joshua Tree. All in all that section of Arizona, California, and Nevada is pretty dry so mixing that in with some hotels with pools may be a good idea for the kids.

Write back with some more details and I'm sure we can help.
    Cheers,
    Dan

3. triplets

triplets New Member

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for the posts. We visited Sedona in 91, just loved it. So we are planning on staying there for probably around 5 nights, so we can all relax abit. Yes a resort with a pool would be nice, all depends on budget, we may have to have two rooms so it all becomes twice the price! At the moment we cannot book flights, they will not be on sale for another 2 weeks. We ideally want to fly into San Fran and out of Phoenix, rather than do a big loop, we did that in 91 and 93. We went to the Joshua Tree park in 91, fantastic place. So this time just want to see something new beside taking our trio to Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Vegas. Its finding nice accomodation at the right price!

4. d360

d360 Administrator

5. triplets

triplets New Member

Hi,
    Feel I`m getting nowhere fast! Still haven`t made any decision on lodging as I hear good and bad reports on places, this holiday is going to cost alot of money so I really want to get it right. I want somewhere fun and diff from the usual motel, but not so its going to make a big hole in my pocket! We may now fly into LA and out of San Fran, so we could go Joshua Tree route which we have done before and loved. Please recommend some more lodging options for me!

6. d360

d360 Administrator

Hi Triplets,

I think you should first start by nailing down where you will be on what dates and then look at what lodging options there are in the area. Right now your all over the place.

I've mentioned a few in Sedona and Ed has mentioned a few in Vegas. I could recommend a Travel Agent that could fully book this if you would like?

Did you not like Lake Havasu?

7. triplets

triplets New Member

Hi,
    We have done that today. This is what we have decided,
    fly into LA, stay overnight
    LA to San Diego, stay 4 nights

San Diego to Joshua Tree stay overnight
    Joshua Tree to Sedona, stay 4 nights
    Sedona to Williams, stay 2 nights, ride Grand Canyon railway
    Williams to Grand Canyon, stay two nights inside the park
    Canyon to Page, 2 nights, take boat trip to Rainbow Arch
    Page to Zion, stay 1 night
    Zion to Las Vegas, stay 2 nights
    Vegas to Death Valley or Lone Pine, stay 1 night
    Lone Pine to Yosemite, stay 4 nights
    Yosemite to Modesto, stay 4 nights with pen friend
    Modesto to San Fran, stay 2 nights
    San Fran-London!
    Total of 29 nights.............wonderful!
    Awaiting call from travel agent about flights then I can book accomodation, can`t wait!

8. d360

d360 Administrator

Sounds like a great trip! I hope our forum was of help.. happy travels.

9. ryder

ryder New Member

Wow, that sounds like one hell of a trip!

10. triplets

triplets New Member

Hi ,
    Well we have not yet booked our seats as we are getting very high quotes for accomodation. I know its been a while since we came over and there are now 5 of us, but we have been quoted twice by agents in England around £4,000 for 24 nights accomodation, some of it nice and some of it not so nice! Any suggestions of how I can find nice lodging at a reasonable price, or is that reasonable?

11. d360

d360 Administrator

That sounds like alot money! on average $312.00 US per night. Is this for two rooms or one room?

12. triplets

triplets New Member

Its For Two Rooms In Some Resorts But One In Others, Am I Being Unrealistic? Any Advice On Finding A Good Rate Please?

13. d360

d360 Administrator

Well for two rooms that sounds right, For the one room places I assume it must be a Suite or its a 4 star hotel. Have you tried pricing the hotel your agent is quoting directly to see if there's a markup?

14. triplets

triplets New Member

Hi,
    Me again. Thought we had given up on this ,but we have now booked our flights and car. So we are now flying into San Fran on the 26th July, spending two nights(need accomodation as yet), then 4 nights with friend in Modesto, then 5 nights in Yosemite(booked), then on to Vegas(not booked), then to Williams(not booked)take the train to Canyon, then to Sedona for approx 5 nights(not booked), then to Joshua Tree area, then San Diego(not booked), then last 2 nights in LA before we fly home! Feel very excited now that the flights are booked, but not sure what to do about accomodation, should we play safe and book ahead now, or can we afford to wait and find a bargain, advice please?

15. jamessmith

jamessmith New Member

Hi great collection of Arizona accommodations direct by owners, click here!