Airline Consolidation Higher Prices Coming

Discussion in 'Flights' started by wanderer, Feb 14, 2013.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

This is the first thing I thought about when I heard about the merger of U.S. Airways and American. It's going to get more expensive to fly. With fewer choices, we consumers always pay more. And it's so blasted expensive to fly right now, plus the airlines are looking to raise prices now that the oil prices are going up and the recession is retreating some.

What are your two cents?

2. 1VS1

1VS1 New Member

It's funny how they say this merger "may" mean higher prices for travelers when in fact, it is going to cost more to fly now because there's no real competition. At least, with this merger nobody’s air miles are going to be lost, but man it sure is a sad day for travelers. I got nothing to cheer about.

3. dopiowe

dopiowe New Member

This was one merger I was hopping wasn't gonna go become a reality because now we are down to 3 legacy carriers in the US. It sends shivers down my spine the thought that any of "big 3" US carriers left may try to merge in the coming future, which will no doubt someday occur. Oh well...

4. nationales

nationales New Member

I can see little improvement for travelers from this merger. In fact, as travelers what we are going to see is a lot of integration problems and I expect prices to rise as the new merger airline faces off against the other three powerful mega-airlines.