Alaska in November

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by tapsi_am, Oct 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. tapsi_am

tapsi_am New Member

Hi, I'm from Florida.. and would like to travel to Alaska from the 17. Nov - 25 Nov. I'm going with a friend and we are really looking forward for this trip.. but we have read that November is not the best month for tourism in Alaska. We plan to visit Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula, incluiding glaciers, fjords national park, and if it is possible.. skiing in Alyeska Resort. Does anyone know how is the weather in November? Are there any tips you can give us?

Thanks!!!

2. Ivy

Ivy New Member

i never been there, too bad, it is too far for me

3. LivefromAlaska

LivefromAlaska New Member

Alaska in November can vary. Last year, we had the highest amount of snowfall in a very long time, record snowfall, in fact. Alyeska is wonderful, and you won't regret going. However, you won't be able to take any boat tours to see the fjords, or see any glaciers clearly, as the waterways are frozen and the glaciers will be covered with snow. If you decide to go to Valdez, or any places other than Girdwood (where Alyeska is), you'll be able to see ice climbers. Valdez in winter is very popular with ice climbers. Winter is dark here. It doesn't stay dark all day, but the sun in November won't be up till after 10 am, and will be setting some time around 3 to 3:30 pm. It's a winter wonderland here, but not if you want to get out and see anything. Driving can be hazardous, and the things that people come here to see (ie, the wildlife, the fishing, the glaciers, the sea life) just aren't visible in November. If you ski though, and come just for the skiing, you shouldn't be disappointed. Also, nice places to visit would be Homer and Seward. Seward has a Sea Life center that, although small, may give you a little taste of Alaska. If you stay at the hotel downtown, and ask for the "shared bathroom" rooms, you'll get a discount. The rooms are small, and don't have their own bathrooms in the room, but if you plan on being out of your room and looking around, you'll be fine. Another fun winter place is Homer. Make sure to go out to the Homer Spit and see the eagles. You'll be amazed.

4. travelchic

travelchic New Member

Cold. Freezing. Brr.

5. geoffinak

geoffinak New Member

Alaska in the winter offers many things to do, if you like winter sports. Skiing, snowboarding, Alaska has some of the best powder available. You can ski XC, down hill, heli ski, snowboard, extreme ski. Ski powder that is fresh and never touched.

Snow machine trails here in Alaska, is the best there is in the country . Thousands of miles of trails. Plan your own trip or guided excursions.You can keep to groomed trails and see the local wilderness or follow trails used for hundreds of years by trappers and local natives that first started as dog sled routes.

Dog sledding, many kennels offer trips where after some basic training, you can run your own team, with the kennel operators coming with you.

Both Dog Sled and snowmobile offer trips that can take you into the the wilderness, where you can enjoy sights and sounds of the back country and no mosquitos or no seeums. These trips usually provide all the proper winter gear you will need and are comfortable.

Winter Night time sky is the best. Alaska's Northern Lights are best seen at this time of year. Most other times during summer, it is not dark enough to see the Aurora, even though it's happening. The Aurora stretches from the North Pole to South Pole, so the activity is going on year round and at the same time, however it must be dark to see them.

If your driving, winter in Alaska can be like driving in any other state that has snow. Most rental cares have studs on the tires and I would not suggest driving in the dark outside of major cities. It can be cold but the cold in the interior is a very dry cold and if you dress properly you will feel just fine.

People miss out on a lot of what Alaska has to offer by not visiting during the winter. It is a very unique and wild place. In fact viewing game can be easier in winter if taking a flight seeing tour or staying in a remote lodge because the animals tend to bunch up in known areas and can be easier to see.

Winter travel to Alaska is not for everyone, but it certainly offers so many things to do it would take hours to list them. Alaska is just not for summer, the people here do not leave when the snow falls, in fact we get our state back from all the summer visitors and it feels like, well Alaska.
    All the best
    Geoff

6. Sarahchance

Sarahchance New Member

There is still plenty to do in winter in Alaska. Probably the biggest problem with traveling there in winter is how short the daylight can be. Being from Florida, it will also be extremely cold for you but if you buy some good winter clothing and dress in layers you can take care of this.

7. reclacem

reclacem New Member

hello, will the weather be much different in September? if not, what is the weather like in mid September in Anchorage? And if I visit in September, will I be able to see glaciers? Otherwise, what's there for a tourist to do?

8. Danny

Danny Moderator

In September, you won't be able to see any glaicers right in Anchorage, but if you head down the Seward highway towards Whittier you will see some glaciers. As for the weather, it should be nice in mid September and fairly dry so don't count on snow as that doesn't happen until mid October or later.

I personally love Alaska in September as the tourists crowds will have died down and you can get better deals on trains and northern lights coupons.

9. magnumx

magnumx New Member

Alaska is very cold in November

Anyone traveling to Alaska in November will have to brace for cold weather in the interior and wet weather in the southeast.

Also, you don't really have to travel all of the way to Chena Hot Springs/Fairbanks to see the northern lights. If you're staying in Anchorage, you can head to nearby Palmer (about 30 miles north of Anchorage) to see the aurora borealis.

IF you plan to travel by ferry Inside Passage through Queen Charlotte Straits, remember also that the waters this time of year are very choppy and rough so you can guarantee to get seasick!

10. adelante

adelante New Member

Alaska's panhandle area is always rainy

Alaskan weather is unpredictable so I guess I couldn't say that there is really a best time to visit Alaska, though if I were you I'd travel to Alaska between May and June as these months have better weather than November, as well as a ton of sun and less rain.

However, if you are going to be staying in places like Juneau, Sitka, or ketchikan then the weather question is much easier as it will be rainy no matter what time of year you plan to travel, so bring your raincoat!

11. hermandaz

hermandaz New Member

weather in Alaska

Your best bet, if you want to visit Alaska with a bit of sun and not-too-cold is to visit in either late spring or early summer. I'd avoid traveling during the late summer months as it's known to rain quite a bit which will spoil any trip to Alaska.

The weather tends to be very clear in the winter, which is good for seeing the borealis, but you do have to pay a price. The price is obviously freezing cold and blizzard-like weather which will numb every bit of your body.

12. morenog

morenog New Member

tip for traveling to alaska

I suggest booking an organized trip if you plan to visit Alaska and want to do plenty of tours and excursions. With an organized tour you will have a tour guide traveling with you from place to place, you will get your bags carried around for you, and lodging, transportation, and meals will also be taken care of.

I think this is the best way to see and experience Alaska for the first time as you won't miss any highlights along the way and you'll get peace of mind: If anything goes wrong, it's the company's problem to sort out, not yours.

Good luck

13. silviamotan

silviamotan New Member

June is best month to be in Alaska

June and August are the warmest months of the year in Alaska and the months when you get the most daylight hours. If you plan to visit Alaska to enjoy lots of excursions and outdoor pursuits, I'd recommend booking your trip in June as the month of June gets the most daylight hours.

The only thing about June though is that it is one of the busiest time for tourism in Alaska because it is also cruise season in Alaska so places along the Inside Passage will get huge crowds of tourists.

14. manOnMoon

manOnMoon New Member

November is a toss of the dice

Seriously, November is a toss of the dice in Anchorage. You could get some nice pleasant 50 degree sunny days, or snow. I think Denali national park is closed for the season, but on clear days you can see the mountain from Anchorage. The drive south to Seward and/or Homer is beautiful. You should at least drive to Kenai through Cooper Landing because the scenery is magnificent.

By the way, when you get to Alaska, the first thing to do is pick up some literature at the tourism office in the log cabin on 4th street downtown.

15. vaky12

vaky12 New Member

Most rental cares have studs on the tires and I would not suggest driving in the dark outside of major cities. It can be cold but the cold in the interior is a very dry cold and if you dress properly you will feel just fine.

16. casandraM

casandraM New Member

November is winter in Alaska

I think you guys may find the weather in Alaska a bit of a problem being from Florida..I know I did and I am from SoCal. It's true that November isn't good because it's the transition month between winter and summer.

Snow arrives in much of Alaska around October, and winter officially starts in November so, as I said you will struggle to cope with the weather. It's not like you'll need to wear heavy Arctic gear yet, but you'll need an overcoat, sweater, hat, gloves, and wool socks.