Angkor Wat Temple

Discussion in 'Cambodia' started by wanderer, Aug 4, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Angkor Wat is one of Cambodia's cultural treasures, and it's really one of the world's greatest treasures. The network of temples were built to honor Vishnu, the Hindu god, and were constructed between 800 and 1200 CE. It could take a good two days to visit Angkor Wat. Check out a virtual tour here.

2. rosstrainin'

rosstrainin' New Member

you'll definitely need at least 2 days since they're also other great temples you must see before leaving Cambodia. Angkor Thom, Angkor Wat, Bantey Srei and Ta Prohm are the must see temples in Cambodia. Oh by the wat, Ta Prohm is the temple where Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie was filmed and not Angkor Wat.

3. pund4pund

pund4pund New Member

see Angkor Wat at sunset

I was able to see Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm and Angkor Wat in just one day. If you plan it well 1 day is more than enough. Also, I recommend seeing the temples at sunset for a few reasons: 1) the tempels look more stunning, 2) there's less crowds, 3) it's cheaper. if you go after 5pm, you pay for a "1day pass" which carries over to the next day.

4. fotefote3

fotefote3 New Member

best time to see the temples in Cambodia

Angkor temple really lives up to its hype. the temple is huge and marveling at the architecture and surroundings is simply amazing. It's hard to comprehend how these places were built without today's technology.

Oh, another thing. Wear good shoes and avoid visiting in the middle of the day. Trust me, the heat alone is a killer and will drain away all your energy to visit the other temples. Instead, avoid the dry season or go in the early morning or evening.

5. s4noss

s4noss New Member

Re: best time to see the temples in Cambodia

I second wearing good shoes! Also, bring bottle of water and try wearing comfortable light clothes because it really gets super hot. A'd also recommend joining a tour or hiring a private guide. You really can't visit the temple and not understand the story behind it.

6. Eithan

Eithan New Member

Angkor Wat Temple is really a great and best temple of Lord Vishnu, which is god of Hindu.

7. brayden lyle

brayden lyle New Member

Angkor Wat is one of the most worthwhile destinations in Cambodia. Here there are many temples and constructions in the unique architecture.

8. Liza F

Liza F New Member

Angkor Wat is the most famous site in Cambodia, and probably the entire Southeast Asia. Angkor Wat is actually one of the temples found at the Angkor Archaeological Park, which includes the remains of the different capitals of the Khmer Empire, from the 9th to the 15th century. The site is enlisted in the UNESCO World Heritage List, and has been voted repeatedly as one of the new wonders of the world; it is also known as the 7th Wonder of the World. Angkor Wat is by far the largest religious monument in the world. Its significance for the Cambodian people is perhaps best seen on the state flag, where it stands as the coat of arms.

There are numerous tours organized to Angkor Wat from all over the country, and getting here is facilitated by the good quality of the roads. Getting here from Siem Reap, for example, takes around 15 minutes. From Phnom Penh, it takes only 40 minutes to arrive here by plane, which lands at the Siem Reap International Airport, the busiest in Cambodia. There are 6 daily flights from Phnom Penh, as of 2016, and many more arriving to Siem Reap from all over the Southeast Asia, and even wider.

9. AnnaMelling

AnnaMelling New Member

At least 3 days do need to explore AngkorWat. It's such a breathtaking adventure to be able to grope every corner of Angkor Wat. I recommend u guys should be accompanied by a tourist guide to avoid being lost in Angkor wat n also understand more detailed ab the interesting stories of this attration. Further,the best place to watch the sunrise is at Phnom Bakheng or the Terrace of Srah Srang, from there you can see the sun setting over the forest. Angkor is a place to be savoured, not rushed. U can consult the itineraryvisitting Angkor wat from this local travel agency Angkor Wat Tours: Best deals Tours in Angkor Wat - BestPrice Travel . I booked a "Angkor Explorers 4 days" tour for my Cambodia journey.