Antarctic animals

Discussion in 'Antarctica' started by wanderer, Nov 13, 2011.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Long before March of the Penguins came out, I've been in love with the cute critters who make a go out of life in Antarctica. Penguins, seals, and blue whales all can be found in abundance in Antarctica. The roster of Antarctic animals is quite spectacular.

2. yummyfood-ole

yummyfood-ole New Member

favorite Antarctic animals

true that! you wont find more amazing wildlife in the world like you do in Antarctica. My favorite Antartica animal is the whale. There are eight species of whale found in Antarctic waters such as the Blue, Fin, Humpback, Minke, Orca, Sei, Southern Right and Sperm. Of these, the most impressive is the Blue Whale personally.

3. supasupa

supasupa New Member

Antarctic beautiful animals

on any antarctic cruise you will see a variety of penguins, narwhal, polar bears, bowhead whales and walrus, though some Antarctic species have been taken to the verge of extinction which is a pity!

by the way, did you know Blue whales are the largest animals on the planet? and they are just one of the whale species that you can expect to view on your Antarctica tour.

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I would love to see all of these creatures up close. And I can't imagine the scale of the blue whale...they are amazing creatures, that's for sure!

5. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I have a penguin themed Christmas tree. It would be so cool to see the little guys in their natural habitat. I did see them at my local zoo a few weeks ago. That was a ton of fun.

6. backfro8

backfro8 New Member

penguin themed Christmas tree

@mitraveler: I love penguins too. In fact, I have a penguin theme for my phone and a penguin themed christmas skirt that my grandma handnitted for me. Never thought about a penguin themed Christmas tree..sound really cool though. Have you got pictures of it?

7. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

That's just awesome! I'll have to take some more pictures. The foil purple tree didn't do well with the flash, so I'll try again soon. :)

8. antony

antony New Member

I love penquins.I love to see blue whale.its really interesting to see.

9. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Did you get to see the big emperor penguins or another type? They're all pretty cool. I totally agree!

10. basilwebtech

basilwebtech New Member

Antarctica is the coldest,driest place on earth.animals have adapted to life in extremely cold conditions.some of the animals that are live in Antarctica are Weddell Seal,Orcas, Rockhopper Penguins,and Blue Whale.

11. sophiewilson

sophiewilson New Member

It is a shame that due to global warming and melting of glaciers, soon many of them are going to be extinct. These lovely animals would be lost forever.

12. Breathern

Breathern New Member

Penguins Antarctica

Penguins are very curious. If you sit still, they will come up to you and investigate you and your clothing so you can pet them. Saying this, you don't want to get too close to some of the other animals like the fur seals because they can be very protective.

13. melliset

melliset New Member

The Lynx and polar bear are both northern hemisphere animals.

The Antarctic is actually always snow or ice bound.
    Therefore NO typical land based animals live there.
    Only sea animals, like seals, whales, penguins, or birds such as the Southern Fulmar etc.
    If they can't fly or swim well, they cannot survive in the Antarctic!

14. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

It's amazing to me how diverse the animal population is in the Antarctic. There are several types of seals--elephants, fur, even crabeater seals. Now that's quite a name! If you ever find yourself in New Zealand (which many people do before heading down there), there's a really neat museum in Auckland: Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter and Sealife Aquarium. It's a great way to see the animals without the trek so far south!

15. Arduinerd

Arduinerd New Member

When I was in the U.S. Coast Guard (back in 2003), I had the opportunity to visit McMurdo Station, Antarctica when our ship went down to break open ice to allow fuel and supplies to be boated in for the National Science Foundation. It was an incredible experience! We had orcas spy hopping right next to our ship, got to witness seals being taken by these magnificent creatures, as well as lots of penguins. We had a scheduled, day long "ice liberty" day where we got to get off the ship on top of the ocean where the ice was frozen several feet thick and play on the ice. Penguins would literally walk right up to us within just a few feet. We were advised, however, to not touch them at all. It was an amazing time.

16. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Hola! I can't find any good pictures...except for this one with the cat trying to chew the tree. I did put a snowman on the tree this last year. I'll have to take a much better picture this year! Do you have a picture to share of the skirt? I bet that's awesome!

[​IMG]