Anyone ever "glamped" at Uluru (Ayers Rock)?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by The Travel Slut, Jul 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. The Travel Slut

The Travel Slut 6 continents, 87 countries & 64 cruises so far

I was wondering if anyone else has, or is considering, a glamping (glamorous camping) experience at Longitude 131 Resort.

I just did it last month and found it to be unique and awesome--- from the accomodations, food, service and ambiance---all 5-star plus.

I have never stayed in any resort like it before. It consists of only 15 , private, individually-designed, elevated, self-contained, hard-walled "tents" and each has a private view of Uluru (Ayers Rock) plus the extraordinary landscape of the Outback of Central Australia (but still within the Northern Territory).

This all-inclusive resort offers airport transfers, all food, snacks, beverages & wines/spirits, tours (incredible) and accommodations.

The resort has a large pool, Uluru and Outback viewing areas, and plenty of places to just "take it all in", but the draw is always the "Rock" and it can be seen from almost everywhere on the property.

There are so many things to do (or not do if you just want R&R from sunset champagne toasts to Uluru, 5-star cuisine dinner under the stars, astronomy lectures and sky viewing, digideroo concert, sunset walks and canapes/champagne at the base of Uluru, sunrise walks and "brekkie" (breakfast) at the base of Uluru, tours of the Cultural center. They will even arrange (extra) a Harley-Davidson Tour or a Helicopter Ride of the area.

Unique Qualities: There is a total of 15 private, luxury tents featuring:
    • King-size bed (twin available upon request) • Air Conditioning / Heating • Bath Robes • Private Bathroom • Shower • Shaving Outlet • Hair Dryers • Mini Bar • CD Player • Lounge • Arm Chair • Writing Desk • Tea & Coffee making facilities • In-Room Safe • Pool Towels • Smoke Detectors • Direct Dial ISD/STD Telephone • Daily Cleaning • Evening Turndown Service

Each elevated tent also tells a story of an early Australian pioneer or explorer with pictures and narratives throughout. The walls have a unique interior design in earthy natural tones, finishes and fibres with an eclectic mix of classical colonial and contemporary pieces. Wardrobes and vanity basins are similar early 1900's Australian food chests and wash troughs.

The white dome roof & flowing fabric draped from the center "big top" create the illusion of camping but only in comfort. A bedside switch can raise the floor-to ceiling window blinds to allow Uluru at sunrise to work its magic. These eco-green rooms are designed to remain cool in summer & warm in winter with individual controls.

The Dune House, in the middle of the "camp" site, is a huge communal facility and central meeting place for all Longitude 131° guests where meals are served and where the reception is available to meet any needs or wants. It also includes a library with maps, a comprehensive collection of historical and current books, games, a large screen TV, DVD player (with library) & internet station. You can access the well-stocked bar and enjoy a drink in the lounge or out on the deck with stunning views of Uluru and the surrounding desert. More can be discovered at: http://www.longitude131.com.au

The private dirt road leading to the Longitude 131 "campsite" is about 5-10 minutes from the main Ayers Rock Resort area and less than 15 minutes from the airport.

Choices after that are as simple as just enjoying the view of Uluru through the floor to ceiling bay windows the foot of your bed or everything from a as I did that include:

I thoroughly enjoyed my sunset walking tour of Uluru and watching the rock colors transform right before my eyes. The dinner under the stars was an awesome experience as was the Uluru sunrise walk around the base (about 9 km). So many things made this "luxury wilderness" adventure so special.

Champagne and a fusion of Australian cuisine with both indigenous & international flavors make up the gourmet, 5-star cuisine meals which, as an example, consisted of:

Cauliflower Soup (Almond Buerre Noisette)

Braised Rabbit and Black Truffle Raviolo (Olive Tapenade, Baby Spinach, Lemon Olive Oil) or

Butter Poached Western Australian Lobster Tail (Green Asparagus, Poached Egg, Pickled Radish)

French Sable Biscuits (Dark Chocolate Marquise-Orange Glaze)--and this was just lunch.

Dinners were even more exotic with everything from Venison to Barramundi.

The resort touts, "Get as close to serenity as possible, rejuvenate the body, stimulate the mind, activate your senses and liberate the spirit" and I could not agree more.

2. travelchic

travelchic New Member

You got me at Braised Rabbit and Black Truffle Raviolo

But how close is it to Uluru?

3. The Travel Slut

The Travel Slut 6 continents, 87 countries & 64 cruises so far

Longitude 131 is less than 10 km from Uluru line of sight but it takes about 20-25 minutes driving to get to it going back through Ayers Rock Resort (Yulara) and then back on the main highway to Uluru.