Aquarium coming to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by wanderer, Oct 6, 2011.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

This winter, the newest attraction will open in Cleveland. The Greater Cleveland Aquarium is slated to open in December. It will be located in the restored FirstEngery Powerhouse Building, close to the the water and lots of favorite attractions, including the the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Great Lakes Science Center.

2. mjonason

mjonason New Member

Greater Cleveland Aquarium

The GCA will certainly bring a much needed economic boost to the area. The read that the aquarium will feature the Marinescape’s Seatube, which will allow visitors to experience life under the sea in a clear, 145’walk-through tunnel offering panoramic views of marine life. there will also be an aquarium-themed restaurant, and a Nautica Pavilion for aquarium-related special events. Can't wait myself to head over there and check it for myself.

3. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Cool! The opening date was not solid when I looked...so let us know if hear when the aquarium is actually opening!

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

The date is solid now! The aquarium opens on January 21 and will cost $21.95 to see!

5. tomezaS

tomezaS New Member

Greater Cleveland Aquarium on schedule to open

quite looking forward to visiting this new aquarium. I've heard a truck from Florida made the first delivery of fish to the aquarium today. Then, 3 more trucks will bring more saltwater fish from Florida within the next month, which means the aquarium is on schedule to open on 21 of Jan.

6. angelKritz

angelKritz New Member

Cleveland aquarium admission prices

I read that when complete, the aquarium's collection will have over 5,000 species, and the tanks that make up the exhibit will collectively hold one million gallons of water. Not sure about the prices though...$21.95 for adults and $15.95 for children ages 2-12. Annual passes will be from $50 for adults to $130 for a family. What do you guys think, expensive?

7. PinkFloyd99

PinkFloyd99 New Member

looking forward to the new aquarium

I visited the old aquarium as a kid and I still remember it being small and dank. I'm looking forward to visiting the new aquarium with my nieces. Good to know Jacobs' are still willing to invest in Cleveland's economy. One thing that bugs me though..why are they only building a 70,000 square foot aquarium when there is so much land to build on?

8. Guns&Roses

Guns&Roses New Member

new aquarium isn't as big

@PinkFloyd99: I heard that the group from the old Cleveland Aquarium wanted a bigger one and stated this in their plans but they unfortunetly lacked the financing to get it done. I personally think that they should've built the new aquarium on the site of the old medical mart which would have been a much better choice.

9. aleinvspred

aleinvspred New Member

Cleveland Aquarium disapointing

I've been to the newly-opened aquarium and it looks nice but I was a little disappointed with the overall layout of the place. The hallways just seemed tight which is definitely going to be an issue with wheelchairs, baby strollers and huge crowds.I really wanted to love the aquarium but the hype just didn't live up to it..

10. danmark0

danmark0 New Member

cleveland aquarium is small

it's funny because the aquarium actually acknowledges it has small corridors...in fact, the website says they won't allow strollers and wagons..like really??..very bad move if you ask me. How can they build a 21st aquarium and not make it big enough for strollers?