Attractions outside of Sydney

Discussion in 'Australia' started by globalnomad, Aug 23, 2006.

1. globalnomad

globalnomad Guest

I hear that if you're in Australia, then the place to go is New Zealand. However, I'd like to stay on Australia as much as possible. Does anyone know of things to do in Australia outside of Sydney?

2. fmica

fmica Guest

If you don't want to venture out too far how about Coffs Harbour? They've got plenty of Hotels and Beaches. Surely you'll find something to do in that town. It's not a small town but just a smaller version of Sydney.

If, however, you don't mind a short flight, check out Cairns or Brisbane. There you'll find the Great Barrier Reef and the rainforest.

Hope this helps!

Happy travels!

3. everyann

everyann Guest

There's a lot of things to do in Australia that doesn't require you going as far out as New Zealand! Just check out this list.

Just make sure you have enough time to see/do all that you plan! You can fly into Sydney, being that it one of the bigger cities, then fly off into Cairns like fmica said but that just all depends on what you plan to do. Beaches, Surfing, Hiking, it's all up to you!

I do recommend, though, that you at least visit the Sydney Opera House seeing as how that is iconic to Australia.

4. world trecker

world trecker New Member

I've never been to Australia for non work-related purposes, but the couple times I've been there I was impressed. Both times were in Sydney and only for a brief period of time, but we simply cruised along the harbour and enjoyed some great weather during some down-time.

5. globalnomad

globalnomad Guest

i've heard of people climbing the harbour/harbor bridge. any of you know about it?

6. joe

joe Guest

I've never done it, but the people in charge of this site make it seem like many others do. Probably a nice view from up there, I'd imagine.

7. Conti

Conti New Member

And don't forget the Big Bannana in Coffs.

(There are many "big" things in Oz. Try to see as many as possible.)

Conti

8. GFluz

GFluz New Member

What about the central coast? Its about an hour out from sydney and it has some pretty nice beaches. The thing is the transport isnt as developed as a city. There are buses, if you want to spend half the day getting around. Or just hire a car. On train i think it takes about an hour and a half from sydney central station on the Newcastle line.
    And central australia is something to see. The red soil and the amazing natural forms are a must see.

9. Chikurin

Chikurin New Member

Blue Mountains

Hunter Region

The Hunter Valley region

Snowy Mountains

10. rafaelnadal

rafaelnadal New Member

Attractions nearby Sydney

The Blue Mountains and Jenolan Caves have to be the biggest attractions nearby Sydney that you can visit. The Blue Mountains are about 30 miles outside of Sydney and are an amazing place to soak in the breathtaking scenery of gorges and gum trees.

Jenolan Caves are also located in the Blue Mountains, but to the south-west of Katoomba. These caves are some of the most stunning limestone caves in Ozzy land, and they are open for guided tours.

11. bmkYU

bmkYU New Member

if you're in Australia then stay in Australia

I couldn't help laughing my socks off when I read this thread...Your thread doesn't make any sense buddy! if you're in Australia then stay in Australia...if you want to be in New Zealand then go to New Zealand.

Either way, I can assure you that you really don't have to go all the way to New Zealand to have a good time in Australia. If you want to go somewhere remote then, I suggest going to Tasmania. Tasmania is a separate island, and may give you the feeling of being in New Zealand while still being in Ozzy land.

12. pou723

pou723 New Member

flying to New Zealand while in Sydney

I've lived and worked in both Sydney and New Zealand and I can tell you that both places are completely different. You cant experience New Zealand while in Sydney and viceversa. You'll meet tons of people and get a different vibe wherever you stay in both countries.

If you want to fly to New Zealand while in Sydney use either Jetstar or Pacific Blue which are the best budget airlines in the country. There are plenty of flights between Sydney and New Zealand so if you arrive early on the day then you should be able to get a flight the same day.

13. cussoman

cussoman New Member

best thing in Sydney

one of best things I enjoyed in Sydney was catching the Manly Ferry from Circular Quay to enjoy views of the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge. Honestly, being on the Manly Ferry makes you wonder if you are still in Sydney as you can walk through the Manly 'Corso' to the ocean beach, turn right and keep going to Shelly Beach and beyond.

If you don't fancy being on a ferry for too long catch a ferry to Darling Harbour from Circular Quay, as the trip only lasts a few minutes and will take you under the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

14. melindamessenger

melindamessenger New Member

Australia offers much more stuff do

Both Australia and New Zealand have their own spectacular scenery, though I think Australia offers much more stuff do and sightseeing than in New Zealand. Im not trying to knock NZ by any stretch though I dont think that NZ offers as many options besides outdoor pursuits.

Mind you, the Milford Sound in New Zealand is truly stunning and taking a scenic flight over it, cruising its waters. or go kayaking for a really close-up view is really memorable.

15. kookoo

kookoo New Member

go to Sydney

You could always visit both Sydney and New Zealand on a day trip, though to be honest I would stick to Sydney rather New Zealand.

If you do stick to Sydney, in my opinion the best way to get around Sydney and explore the attractions is on one of the Sydney Explorer Buses. That way, you won't have to worry about renting a car, finding parking, etc. The Explorer bus stops are clearly marked, and you get an itinerary with the numbered stops and the attractions you'll see on each stop.

16. Fadssuids

Fadssuids New Member

what to do in Sydney in winter

You can take plenty of walking tours in Sydney, and visit The Rocks, the Sydney Opera House, the Royal Botanic Gardens, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Australian Museum, Hyde Park, Chinatown, Darling Harbour.

You could also book a cruise of Sydney Harbour, or take a Sydney ferry and cross the harbour to Manly to enjoy the lovely views.

17. guztavoz

guztavoz New Member

exploring outside of Sydney

If you want to explore the area around Sydney and plan to rent a car, you could visit Kiama, Jervis Bay and Wollongong all of which are within an hour's drive from Sydney.

If you plan to visit Kiama you can also get there by train from Central Railway where you will find several motels and hotels within easy walking distance of the railway station. If you drive, just head off on the freeway to the airport, then pick up the signs to Wollongong, and look for signs to Kiama or Nowra after that.

18. airforke1

airforke1 New Member

Sydney is great for first timers

Australia isn't that far from New Zealand, is it? I agree though that these two countries should be viewed as two diff countries..too many people I speak to from abroad seem to think that if you visit Australia or NZ you've seen it all.

I'd say that if it's your first time in the region, you should stick to Sydney Australia because of the many attractions on offer such as the Sydney Aquarium, the Powerhouse Museum, the State Theatre, the Sydney Centre Point Tower, Paddy's Market's at Market City, and Sydney Opera House.

19. Stacey Robinson

Stacey Robinson New Member

Northern beaches is the place to go. The best beaches in Australia. Great food, pubs and surf. Perfect.

20. TheExpert

TheExpert New Member

Yes sydney is one of the most beautiful place in australia and have certain places around and in it as Sydney CBD Places, Manly Beach and the Sydney Northern Beaches, Sydney Harbour, Parramatta, Penrith Valley, Sutherland Shire Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley Destinations and Central Coast Destinations.