Barcelona suggestions

Discussion in 'Spain' started by wanderer, Oct 23, 2011.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I've always wanted to visit Barcelona...it seems like one of those places that's quite wonderful. What are your suggestions for the top places to visit? What are your favorite places in Barcelona?

(even reading the forum on crime there!)

2. freenights

freenights New Member

what to see in Barcelona

it's true that pick pocketing and bag snatching is a huge problem in Barcelona, but don't let that put you off. I would suggest seeing a flamenco show, visiting the Sagrada Familia church, the Barcelona's aquarium, and the Barcelona FC Museum at the Nou Camp. But it's probably better that a guided tour on a bus since it'll be an easy way to get around to see the main sights of Barcelona.

3. hasan29

hasan29 New Member

1. La Sagrada Familia
    2. Park Guell
    3. Santa Maria del Mar
    4. Palau de Musica
    5. Hospital Sant Pau
    6. Montjuic
    7. Las Ramblas / Barri Gòti
    8. The Beach
    9. Montserrat
    10. Just Barcelona

4. MCD

MCD New Member

I went to Barcelona recently and the "Plaza de Pene" quite interesting and entertaining. Well worth a visit!

5. trologger

trologger New Member

going to Barcelona suggestions

if you're going to Barcelona i suggest buying guide books like Time Out, Lonely Planet Etc.). Either way, you will have a blast there. Stuff to not miss include Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia, Las Ramblas (just walk...), and Quinze Nuit Restaurant famous for its Estrella Damm beer and chorizo.

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Thank you for all of these suggestions! It sounds like there are many great places to visit in Barcelona. How long of a visit would you suggest? Would three or four days be enough for a first timer?

7. teresaw

teresaw New Member

4 days in Barcelona

4 days would be okay for a little taste of Barcelona, but it will go really fast. Either way, things you can see and do in Barcelona for 4 days would be taking the gaudi tour, walking up and down la rambla; get lost in the gothic neighbourhood (right side of la rambla).

By the way, do you speak any Spanish? don't worry i think you won't have any problem speaking english (Barcelona is a very touristic city), but the reason I ask is because if you wander off the tourist trail maybe you'll have some problems.

8. typical-situation2

typical-situation2 New Member

don't miss Las Ramblas

hey wanderer, be sure to check Las Ramblas is beautiful. Early morning is probably the best time to take a stroll down Las Ramblas and soak up the atmosphere before the street starts to get really busy.

Meander about halfway down Las Ramblas and on the right-hand side you’ll see a large sign for the Mercat St Josep, aka La Boqueria. There’s an astoundingly vibrant display of fresh produce on sale here, and you might want to pick up a punnet of fresh fruit to take with you.

9. situatgfe4

situatgfe4 New Member

suggestions for trip to Barcelona

La Rambla is an amazing area, just the crowds there, markets, and shops...by the way, on left down port end walking that way there is a neat maritime museum, and the port area itself has a tourist info centre you can visit to grab free maps.

Barcelona's beautiful, so you'll have a great time there regardless where you stay. Oh, be sure to go for a flamenco/dinner show.. I can't remember where exactly.

10. AgnesRiley

AgnesRiley New Member

About needing to speak Spanish, I would be careful about that. The language spoken in Barcelona is Catalan, not Castilian (which is what we usually call Spanish) and some people may take offence if you try to speak Castilian to them (certainly not all or even the majority, but some have been known to). In most tourist areas, English should be fine.

11. hrtfreeman

hrtfreeman New Member

I don't think that Catalan speakers here take offense at the prospect of having someone speaking Spanish to them, rather it's the expectation that you require them to respond likewise. I've found being overly polite can help remedy this...

If anyone is strolling this thread and want a peaceful day out away from the tourist route for some time to relax, then they can head to Parc del Laberint D'Horta, free on Wednesdays and Sundays,

12. bbrian

bbrian New Member

Hey friends can someone advise me whether its better to travel from Barcelona to Madrid by train or get a car hired? I Flew from Paris to Barcelona and want to see places on the way with friends:)

13. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Here are a few more suggestions to add to the list. The Picasso Museum, Boqueria Market, Parc del Laberint d'Horta and Parc Guell, the Spanish Village, and for kids, the aquarium in Barcelona. So much to see and do!

14. bizflats0

bizflats0 New Member

Barcelona is the best place to visit. The Las Ramblas market and the beaches are the places to be visited in Barcelona