Basque food

Discussion in 'Idaho' started by wanderer, Mar 30, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I've heard that Idaho is a good place to try Basque cuisine, but truth be told, I don't know what that is. Does anyone know what is a typical Basque dish to try in Idaho?

2. rainman1

rainman1 New Member

Basque culture lives in Boise

head to Bose to learn about Basque culture and heritage...I think it's something like 1 in 10 residents in Boise is of Basque heritage. there's even a museum devoted to the culture, all the restaurants and even a preschool where Euskara is the language of choice.

3. nite-nite-nite

nite-nite-nite New Member

Boise Basque Center

The Basque Center is the best place to go to learn and mingle with Basque people of the area. They always have Basque dancing events and cool gatherings. Boise also holds an annual Basque Festival (San Inazio Festival) on august 1, which is a free event put on by the Euzkaldunak (Boise's Basque organization) and one that draws a sizable crowd.

4. trobleinthejungle

trobleinthejungle New Member

Boise is the hub of Basque culture

it's interesting because Basque culture is more prevalent here in Boise than it is in Spain. In fact, many basque people in Spain who want to regain the understanding of Basque culture actually travel to Boise. It's a shame Basque people were oppressed during Spain's dictatorial days.. luckily for the Basque they found a home in Idaho:)

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Thanks for all this great information! It is odd how Old World cultures keep going in the New World. I live in Holland, Michigan, and the community here kept with with old-fashioned values and traditions that no one in the Netherlands keeps going.