beach culture

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Elisha, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Elisha

Elisha New Member

hello

I'm in my last year of secundairy school in Belgium. I have to make a work, we call it an 'end work' (don't know the name in English, I'm sorry). It has to be about the influence of the Australian beach culture on the Australian English, and if it has any influence on the food...
    i hope somebody can help me! because it is really hard to find some good information about it, and I haven't been in Australia, so I don't know how it is in real life...
    I would be very pleased if you would help me!

Elisha

2. d360

d360 Administrator

HI Elisha,

This sounds like a diffucult one to answer unless someone on our forum is in Australian beach scene. Best of luck in your search.

Dan

3. everyann

everyann Guest

4. jasper

jasper New Member

Hi Elisha,

Beach culture in Australia has had a large effect on general life and its' impact is felt all the more if like most Aussies you live on the coast. Perhaps the most obvious is in the slang terms that have developed as a part of beach life:

Gromet - Young surfer
    Cosy or Cosi - Swimming costumer
    Chunder - To have a wave dump you in the sand
    Nipper - Young lifesaver in training

The list goes on and you can check the many sites for Aussie slang terms, but it is obvious how life on the beach really does influence the overall Australian culture in many ways.

5. GFluz

GFluz New Member

The influence of the beach culture depends on where you are. I grew up an hour out from sydney so the beach impacted on our dress, slang of course and also in what we learnt at school. We had to learn how to read the beach as in rips etc. At uni we were 15 minutes away from the beach so our free time was spent there.

6. rimu1

rimu1 New Member

Hi I don't know if I am too late to reply but for a podcast on Australian beach Culture at Talk'N Tours, this may help you.

17 ½ million Australians live within an hours drive from the beach and most sunny weekends see them getting a good work out. Even during the week at the more popular city beaches the number of beach goers is significant.

Reply to this post with another information request if you need more.