been to Bogota lately..please tell me

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by 7yuh, May 17, 2011.

1. 7yuh

7yuh New Member

hello, I am going to Bogota to visit my friend in june. I know I will be safe when with my Colombian friends, and I have all the proper numbers for the Canadian Embassy in Bogota, but does anyone have anything to tell me to ease my mind about safety there...I would feel better if I got some advice from people who have actually been to Bogota and not people who have only seen it on CNN.

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

Bogota's an amazing and vibrant city with lots to see and do. There are good areas and bad areas just like anywhere else in the world.

I have visited Bogota twice with friends and some of us stand out in a crowd as foreigners, but have never had any problems.

The streets are very busy and noisy like in NYC, though the roads are really bad so, expect a bumpy ride when riding the buses.

Also, the killings and kidnappings that we see in the news and movies about places like Bogota or Rio are not random attacks on foreigners. Don't let fear ruin a great time....but on the other hand, go with friends, carry a photocopy of your passport and enough cash just for the day.