Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by marieanne, Sep 9, 2011.

1. marieanne

marieanne New Member

Later this year, I'm anticipating a visit to Europe with a short stay in Amsterdam. After searching other forums and sites, I've learned that there are three favored areas...Jordaan, Oud Zuid, and Museumplein. My question is which of these places is THE best, and if there really isn't a best, then what's to be seen and done in these areas, so I know what to expect when I go there, and I can pick the place that seems like an area I'd like to be.

2. helena23

helena23 New Member

Best area to go in Amsterdam

Depends what you want to do in Amsterdam? clubbing? romantic trip? I would normally recommend getting accommodation in the Museumplein area/around Leidseplein. Amsterdam downtown area is rather small so, most attractions and sites are within walking distance or just a few minutes by tram/public transport.

Jordaan district is great for a romantic stay with someone special as it's a small and charming little area, which is also close to the main attractions, shops, restaurants etc.

3. freenights

freenights New Member

areas to stay in Amsterdam

Don't stay in Amsterdam Red Light District if you want to get some good sleeps! Seriously, if you choose a hotel or hostel in Amsterdam’s Red light it’s very likely you’ll regret it.

One of the great things about Amsterdam though is that they've concentrated nearly all the attractions, restaurants and clubs within the downtown so where ever you stay you never too far. The main three areas to stay in Amsterdam include Centraal Station, Rembrandtplein, and Leidseplein.

4. mrbugles

mrbugles New Member

Jordaan is a very cosy neighborhood and slightly less touristic than let's say Leidseplein and Museumplein. It's full of romantic little restaurants, bars and shops.

Oud-Zuid is a bit more posh with more upmarket accommodation. It's also home to Vondelpark, a big city park that is very popular with visitors (absolutely packed on a sunny day).

All of those places are located close to each other though and everything is easy to reach by bike, foot or public transport.

5. Marietje

Marietje New Member

Thats an easy answer: Jordaan area. Romantic, little bars, interesting inexpensice shops, lively but not to touristic

6. Talia Stone

Talia Stone New Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016