best place for surfing in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by marinoJoseph, Jan 28, 2011.

1. marinoJoseph

marinoJoseph New Member

Hey there, I am looking for a nice place to live and surf in Australia. I was thinking of Melbourne. What do you think? Are there some nice waves around within a day/weekend trip? Which other places do you recommend?

Thanks a lot for ya help.
    Keep on surfing.

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

So many surfing spots to choose from in Australia! Sydny Australia is one of the best place to live and surf as there are lots of great surf beaches close to the city.

Having said this, Melbourne isn't far behind and it is another amazing place to live and ride waves. There are great waves very close to the city as well - you can either head west to the surf coast, down to the Mornington Peninsula ocean beaches, or spend the weekend at Phillip Island.

By the way, Melbourne's housing is much cheaper than Sydney, so that could be another factor to sway you to Melbourne.

3. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

The surfing is also good along the west coast, especially in Perth. Scarborough Beach is one of the favorites. You'll find more ideas on where to find good surfing in this helpful article.

4. nokidsallowed

nokidsallowed New Member

surfing spots in Australia

Sydney has lots of great surf beaches close to the city, but Melbourne has many great waves very close to the city as well, which I think are nicer. You can either head west to the surf coast (Torquay, Bells), down to the Mornington Peninsula ocean beaches, or spend the weekend at Phillip Island. It all receives different swell and winds, so there is always somewhere that has waves.

5. trilogyof

trilogyof New Member

surfing in Australia

My home beaches near Mallacoota get good surf occasionally, though I thin three of the best surfing spots in Australia are Angourie to Byron Bay in NSW, Noosa – Point Break, and Snapper Rocks in Queensland.

6. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Those all sound like great suggestions. Are any of these spots better for new surfers?

7. oneillsamosa56

oneillsamosa56 New Member

surfing in Australia

Queensland has several surf schools at Surfers Paradise , Gold Coast, Noosa on Sunshine Coast and also Byron Bay in NSW. If you're coming to Sydney I suggest coming down to the southern beaches at Cronulla rather than the hyped Bondi beach. the beaches at Cronulla are the best and not so touristy as the northern beaches.

8. ashleysoutter

ashleysoutter New Member

There is no doubt that the attraction is directly proportional to the beauty and more beauty place has more number or people it can attract towards it. There are lots of places that have contributed in making these tours best and attractive. Some of these places include Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin and this list is so long.

9. eddyedward

eddyedward New Member

The best places for surfing in Australia are:
    -Sydney Harbour
    -Tasmania
    -Melbourne
    -Barossa
    -Uluru

10. michael_23

michael_23 New Member

Wow, I wish I can also try to surf someday! Anyway, I read that these are some of the best places for surfing in Australia:

* North Coast – Angourie to Byron Bay, NSW
    * Noosa – Point Break, QLD
    * Snapper Rocks, QLD
    * Seal Rocks and Pacific Palms, NSW
    * Northern Beaches, NSW
    * Torquay – Bells Beach, VIC
    * Crescent Head, NSW
    * Margaret River – Yallingup and Prevelly Park, WA

You can also read more about each location from http://www.destination360.com/australia-south-pacific/australia/surfing

Have fun!

11. sophiewilson

sophiewilson New Member

There are some amazing beaches in New South Wales which are best for surfing. I list my top 5 :
    Boomerang Beach
    Byron Bay
    Lennox Head
    Bondi Beach
    Manly Beach

Have fun :)

12. jackbenny

jackbenny New Member

If you're looking at major cities by the coast to live in, then Sydney and the Gold Coast would be your best bet. However Sydney is one of the most expensive cities in the world and you could find much better beaches that aren't packed with tourists and surfers elsewhere in the country.
    It's a big city (4 million +) with great surf beaches, great ethnic diversity, heaps of places to eat and shop, plenty of tourists but far more locals. The climate is OK too though not as warm as the Gold Coast. Sydney has a huge selection of good schools and several universities