best time to buy airline tickets?

Discussion in 'Flights' started by wanderer, Mar 11, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

It seems like tickets get more and more confusing and it's hard to know when it's the best time to buy airline tickets. What would you say?

2. hehem

hehem New Member

buying airline tickets

I second that wanderer! last year I went to cabo san lucas in April and paid $300 roundtrip...but this time around the price for the same type of flight is like $600, for a 50 min flight? Geezus! No thanks! I don't know what to say, I was told 4 weeks in advance was long enough to buy a cheap ticket but i seriously doubt this now!

3. fassoPP

fassoPP New Member

depends on your destination

It depends on your destination...I found that domestically and Mexico doesn't make much of a difference if you book 4 weeks or 8 weeks in advance. However, for international travel, 8 weeks makes a world of difference. Whenever I go somewhere abroad I plan 6 months in advance.

4. MikeMachida

MikeMachida New Member

searching for a cheap deal

I was told that Wednesday, Tuesday and Saturday are cheapest days to fly, while Friday and Sunday are the most expensive days to travel). Then again, Im not so sure this also applied internationally because of time differences, etc. I think it's a little pointless spending so much time on the computer searching for a cheap deal...just buy a few weeks in advance and ditto!

5. ThisWorld2010

ThisWorld2010 New Member

book the first flight out in the morning

i would agree with mike somewhat but shopping around always pays off my friend! I always book the first flight out in the morning because they're cheapest, though the drawback is that it means you have to get up at 3 or 4 in the morning!

6. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Shopping around doesn't hurt at all. Destination360 has a flight widget on its homepage, and it shops a bunch of websites and airlines.

7. lusylaw

lusylaw New Member

You should be book the tickets before five or six months going tthen you can get cheapest ticket.

8. brightsuntravel

brightsuntravel New Member

I think you should book flight tickets six weeks before your trip. then you can get flight ticket at low price.

9. karlinlee

karlinlee New Member

Best time to buy air tickets is off season. You will get the best deals during off season.

10. estupendod

estupendod New Member

when to buy airline tickets

I don't like giving advice about the best time to buy airline tickets, but from experience the best time it's normally about 2-3 months before your travel date (though I wouldn't start monitoring fares until about 4 months out). Also, be sure to sign up for email alerts from the airlines you want to fly with..very handy.