Best time to travel to Portugal

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Vicolette, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

The high season for Portugal is summer through fall when lots of folks are traveling and the weather is perfect. If travelers wait for the winter months to get a good package deal on transportation and accommodations, is it worth it or do the temps and rain make it not a good option?

2. FerrariSnr

FerrariSnr New Member

without a doubt during the shoulder months or off season. Portugal is ridiculously crowded in the summer especially around the beaches and major cities like Porto and Lisbon. You will save also on airfare and accomodation if you avoid the tourist season. Of course, the only thing is that weather is nicest during the high season, though if you travel the first week of sep or early summer, you can avoid the big crowds and still get good weather.

3. juanMarquez

juanMarquez New Member

winter holiday in portugal

Portugal as nice and warm as it is isnt't the best place to go for an all-year-round winter vacation. It gets as cold as England and it's foggy, rainy, cloudy, etc. I personally would recommend going to the Canary Islands if you want to find good all year temperature and a relatively mild winter. Believe me, you wont like the wet, cold and windiness during the winter months. Worse of all, central heating in apartments, houses are very rare.

4. somanyskp

somanyskp New Member

go to azores islands for the winter

if you're looking for a beach vacation, forget about Portugal in winter because weather isn't good for this in winter. Even algarve won't be much better in terms of weather for the beach. someone mentioned the canary islands and that would be my recommendation too. if you really want a feel of Portugal, head to the azores islands. weather is great all year round too;)

5. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Two good suggestions for beach vacations. Here are a couple of links for others who may want information about the Canary Islands and the Azores. For travelers who prefer winter travel and not necessarily a beach vacation, what activities are available?