Best time to visit Calgary?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by world trecker, Nov 3, 2006.

Tags:
  1. world trecker

world trecker New Member

Getting to this city has been on my to-do list for years, but I want to get up there at just the right time. Is there a magic time of the year when Calgary's at its best? I'm from Florida, and I'm not a big snow guy, so preferably something warm/comfortable but not unbearably hot/humid.

2. Hi there! I can tell you all about Calgary. Calgary doesn't get as humid as Florida, so no worries about that. It has more of a dry California heat, and when there's humidity it's low. The best time would be to go June-August. Here are just a few things you can do in that time:

June:
    International Jazz Festival
    Greek Festival

July:
    Calgary Stampede
    Folk Music Festival

August:
    Dragonboat Festival
    Global Fest - One World Festival and International Fireworks Competition

I haven't been to any of the festivals in June, but I've been to both the events in July and they were great. I know they both have websites, so check them out to find out exact dates of the festivals and more information. Another really cool thing about being there end of June/beginning of July is that Alberta in general has longer daylight hours than Florida. The farther north you go in Alberta, the longer hours of daylight you have.

I would also suggest spending a day in Banff. It's about an hour and a half drive to get there, but I swear you won't be disappointed. Banff is built right into a mountain and no matter where you look all you'll see is mountains. It's quite beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2006
  3. world trecker

world trecker New Member

Yes, I was looking at the Calgary Stampede because so many people I know who've been there have enjoyed it. How are crowds around that time, and would I need to look into booking accomodations now?

And yes, the extra daylight is definitely a plus! I'll also look into Banff since you mentioned it.

4. tiffany06

tiffany06 New Member

yes, you'll definitely need to book your accomodations soon. i learned the hard way.

5. amherstisland

amherstisland New Member

The Calgary Stampede. I was there many years ago and I had a great time. The winters in Calgary are a little cold, so if you prefer the heat go in the summer during the Stampede. Make sure to book accommodations early.

6. vivianbanks

vivianbanks New Member

The best time to go to Calgary has to be early July and mid-August folks! It's when the tourist season kicks-in but anyone who tells you to that Calgary is best any other time except summer isn't being helpful imo.

July is actually home to the Calgary Stampede which is an amazing rodeo, exhibition and festival all-in-one that can't compare to any other rodeos around the world (including the US)

Naturally, if you don't like the crowds and overpriced everything, then travel in september up to mid october. for fewer crowds, fewer kids (lol) and cheaper deals.

By the way, end of October you could find hot days followed by snow storms so be warned!

7. kollghu

kollghu New Member

visit during Calgary Stampede

I have to agree with Vivian folks! going to Calgary during the Calgary Stampede is the best time as there will be lots to do around town, and you'll get lots of free foods (lol)...by the way isn't the Stampede held from July 7th till 18 this year?

8. sergiomarty

sergiomarty New Member

Calgary is awesome!

Calgary is awesome but if you dont like snow you won't enjoy it here most of the year. Snow can fall every month of the year, though most snow falls are in April. Summers are usually warm during the day and chilly at night, though it can rain a lot and get fairly unpleasant at times.

As someone mentioned, Calgary Stampede is in July and well worth coming down for as it's the biggest event in the city.

Overall, if you love the outdoors, you will love Calgary as the city is very close to the mountains so you can do lots of hiking and wilderness camping.

9. Incapo

Incapo New Member

Calgary in the summer

Calgary is at its best during the summer months, though it that doesn't mean it doesn't snow either (last year for the first time it snowed in summer).

The Stampede is also held in summer so it's good to be here as there are lots to do around town, lots of free breakfasts, live music, fun contests, etc.

10. killuminapi

killuminapi New Member

hunting and fishing in Calgary

if you love hunting or fishing, the Calgary region has it all. For fly fishing head to the Bow River for brown trout and rainbow trout fishing. For game hunting, head to the mountains and foothills around Calgary where you will find deer, elk, moose and black bear. Alberta's wetlands are also rife with wildfowl, but be sure to obtain licenses and know the local regulations before your visit.

11. portarl

portarl New Member

June and September

If you plan to visit Calgary as well as the Canadian Rockies, I'd say that the best time to visit would be between June and September, unless of course, you're into winter sports like snowmobiling or skiing.

Another good reason to be in Calgary between June and September is that the city gets the most hours of sunshine and the weather is pretty nice and pleasant. Sightseeing is also great, and you will be able to do lots of recreational activities.

12. dr.flippa

dr.flippa New Member

it snows all year in Calgary

If you aren't a snow guy you should probably avoid going to Calgary in the winter, though to be honest it has snowed in Calgary almost every single month last year.

If you still want to go skiing in the mountains then visit Calgary around May. You don't even have to wear a snow jacket sometimes in May because the weather is so nice out...do remember to wear sunscreen because the light will reflect off the snow and give you a bad sunburn.

13. carmelo56

carmelo56 New Member

Calgary's weather is crappy

I agree that Calgary's weather is crappy most of the year, even during the summer months. It'll actually freeze overnight in September, but not necessarily every night. It can even snow, or it could be shorts & T-shirt weather so it's a toss of the dice.

No matter when you visit Calgary dont miss visiting Heritage Park Historical Village, Glenbow Museum, Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre, Telus World of Science, and Fort Calgary. If you wish to go shopping, then Chinook Centre is the place with lots of retail shops, departmental stores and a movie theater

14. elcid

elcid New Member

fall in Calgary

Right now is a great time to be Calgary as weather is real good..if you can make it here in fall you will like it here for sure walking the streets, taking pictures and exploring all the attractions such as the Canada Olympic Park, Calgary Tower, Fort Calgary, Fish Creek Provincial Park, Glenbow Museum, Military Museum: Mural Mosaic, Lougheed House – Beaulieu Gardens, Spruce Meadows, Olympic Plaza, Stephen Avenue Walk, and Heritage Park.

15. fburns

fburns New Member

The best time of year to visit Calgary is from late May to the end of September. The shoulder months of October and April could have fine weather, but you also could have snow:)

16. gaurav467

gaurav467 New Member

The Calgary Stampede (and big Rodeo to-do) is the city at its most partiest. Not sure when it is held though. I want to say June, but dont know if that is right. If you're not up for snow, then I'd suggest anytime between May-September.

17. holidayguy

holidayguy New Member

The best time of year to visit Calgary is from late May to the end of September. The shoulder months of October and April could have fine weather, but you also could have snow. If you will be combining your visit to Calgary with a visit to the Canadian Rockies. The best time to visit would be from June till the end of September.