Best time to visit New York

Discussion in 'New York' started by teecee, Aug 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. teecee

teecee New Member

Hey everyone!

I know New York has a bunch of things going on through out the year but can anyone tell me when's the best time to go? I don't want to be completely surrounded by a group of tourists but I also don't want to be the only one on a tour.

2. everyann

everyann Guest

It really depends on what you want to see. In the winter there's always the Macy's parade that happens in November and then the ice skating or annual tree lighting at Rockefeller Center.

The summer it might be best to do those outdoor activities, like Coney Island, Statue of Liberty, or even Niagara Falls.

New York has something going on all year round! It just depends what kind of weather you want to be in. The winters in New York are very cold so if you're not to keen on that idea go in the summer.

or check out
    Best Time to Visit NYC

3. VegasEd

VegasEd Guest

There is nothing like Christmas in the city.....a must do during your lifetime...stay throuh NYD and experience Times Square NYE...memorable...

My personal fav time is early-mid summer, when the patios and rooftops open up to some gorgeous views during nights/early mornings of dining and clubbing

VE!

4. teecee

teecee New Member

hey guys,

thanks for all of the info.

VegasEd-

What rooftops? Are these like hotel rooftops or clubs? Am I completely off?

5. VegasEd

VegasEd Guest

There are several ..probably one of the best is the 6500 sq ft area on top of BED on 530 W 27th St, in West Chelsea

Others:
    Sutton Place- 1015 2nd Ave.
    Rare View 303 Lexington Ave
    Plunge atop the swanky Hotel Gansevoort - 18 9th Ave.
    Ava Lounge - 210 W. 55th
    Local West - 1 Penn Plaza
    and the Met. Museum of Art Rooftop Cafe - 1000 5th Ave

6. As a life-long New Yorker, I agree there's something to be said for each season. But for my money, I'd say most of the summer should be avoided. While we've been fortunate with some mild weather for the past couple of weeks (mid-80s, relatively dry), July and August are characterized by humid days in the 90s -- absolutely unbearable. Most people don't want to do much more than sit in an air-conditioned room and try not to break a sweat, let alone pound the steaming pavement in the city.

Summer is also the busiest season for tourists -- though this being New York, you're not going to find too much of a difference from season to season. Winters can, indeed, be magical; there's nothing like seeing the city after it's been pounded by a blizzard, when half of us are trying to dig out and the other half are making snow angels on the sidewalk. Late-summer into early-fall is my favorite: day-time temperatures are pleasant, nights begin to get brisk. When the leaves start to turn in Central Park, this place is really transformed.

What can I say? My heart's here all year long. Come anytime and you'll fall in love with the place.

Chris
    Travel better. Travel Gator.

7. teecee

teecee New Member

TravelinGator,

So late-fall would be the best time? Would you say that prices for flights seem reasonable?

8. VegasEd

VegasEd Guest

I will stick to my early-mid summer recommendation...I didnt mean July and August..I meant the time when NYers are sooo glad winter is over and the weather is getting nice....like April-early June....early June is good for another reason...local kids are still in schools so it cuts down number of people about town

by the way mid 90s is hot?....pansies! j/k...
    try 115 for a month...thank gawd for the pools!

VE!

9. lambda

lambda Guest

mid summer is the best time in my openion...

10. VegasEd

VegasEd Guest

Although we all have our opinions, I think we all agree, New York is always a good idea and a city that MUST been seen at least once in your life! Take a Bite.

11. marie

marie New Member

I do not think timing matters when you visit NYC, just shop for great deals, we recently stayed near the Newark airport because the hotel prices were not in our budget and i would rather commute in than stay in a dump. There is always something going on and there is so much to do, we go several times a year and while we visit favorite places, we always do something new each time as well.

12. Good question! I have been to several cities in New York, but have never been to NYC (although I'm dying to go). My boyfriend travels frequently to NYC for business and he not only goes on and on about how much he loves the city, but he swears one day we'll go there during the Christmas season (when he's not working). He's told me it's like nothing you could ever imagine, and from the pictures he's showed me, he's right.

13. joe

joe Guest

I've only heard wonderful things about the city's spring and fall, and not great things about its summer and winter (not including xmas time). Granted these opinions are mostly from locals, and they all cannot stop complaining about water weight loss during the summers ;)

14. jess

jess New Member

NY can be visited anytime of the year but the winters in the city are extremely harsh especially if you are used to a warmer climate. As a former New Yorker the only time I go back now is anytime during April, May or June. I get enough humidity here in FL in July and Aug so if I stay home I have my pool and as far as the winters go, you would have to pay me to go back.

15. tebri

tebri New Member

Hi,
    Our trip to New York is planned for mid February. Have you all had a hard winter so far? We live in Lake Tahoe, CA and it's been pretty mild here. (Only 4 inches of snow in the yard and that's the most we've had all year!) I don't mind the snow but need to pack for it! Staying mid Manhattan area. Is it silly to bring heels and dresses with blazers or should I go for boots with tread and down jackets? What about rain? Wind? (lol! I know you can't predict a month and a half in advance, but just asking...what would YOU pack for a trip to NY in a normal February?)

Thanks,
    Tebri

Nice NYC info you posted about the best time to visit New York City

16. world trecker

world trecker New Member

Hi Tebri, I'd think you'd be fine if you dressed the way you'd dress in Lake Tahoe during the month of February. Temperatures are about the same. Right now it's quite a bit warmer in NY, but with the uncertainty of weather you can only assume it'll eventually fall to near its typical February averages (highs in mid-40s, lows in high-20s/low-30s). Being a man, I'd probably wait until a few days before my trip and then check NYs 10-day forecast. You may be more responsible than that.

And the winter in FL has been brutal! We're supposed to see 80 degrees today.

17. everyann

everyann Guest

world trecker is right about NY being warm right now. This morning's news reported that this past weekend reached temperatures of high 60s to low 70s. Wow! Who wouldn't mind that weather in January?

18. Conti

Conti New Member

I would say the best time to go is in the late summer/early fall. The vacation season is winding down, but it's still warm weather.

19. goliathII

goliathII New Member

hey guys, we're traveling the second week of June to New York City (last minute) so we dont have an idea what the weather is like and whether June is a good time to be there...i know its too late to find out sine we're going but still, any ideas?

20. Danny

Danny Moderator

hey goliathII, the weather in NYC in June is warm and pleasant and as hot as the rest of summer. You will find a bit crowded in the second week of June because of the many summer concerts and outdoor film festivals, though most are free!