Best time to visit Peru

Discussion in 'Peru' started by Pete, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Pete

Pete New Member

Hi everyone, just wondering when is the best earliest time in the year to visit peru? I would love to visit all the inca settlements machu picchu especially etc.. but don't want to get there and find it covered in snow! ive tried to look on the internet for weather at certain times of the year but nothing yet. so any help would be great.

many thanks

Pete

2. ftuley

ftuley New Member

Peru's weather is so unpredictable, in fact, it's not uncommon to experience all four seasons in a single day, generally speaking, Peru has two seasons, wet and dry, but in a country as geographically diverse as Peru, local weather patterns vary greatly. In the highlands, the dry season is between June and October, but even the mountains wet season isn't always really wet and the dry season sees its share of downpours. Temperatures during the day in the dry season can get hot making shorts rather inviting. At night, temperatures can drop quickly and a warm sweater makes walking around the plazas comfortable. The Amazon experiences...you guessed it, rain heat and more rain and heat! The average daytime temperature is 30-32º C (85-90º F), while nights can cool down to 20º C (68º F). They do have a wet and wetter season with the wet (dry) season corresponding with the dry season in the highlands. The desert coast is arid. From January to March the sky is clear and the air tends to be hot and sticky,so I would say this is the best time to go. Peruvians go to the beach at this time. The rest of the year the gray coastal mist known as guara moves in and the sun is rarely seen. the Sacred Valley of the Incas is full of beautiful scenery, with impressive platforms and very important archaeological sites.Machu Picchu perhaps the most spectacular ruin in the Americas, Machu Picchu spreads over 5 sq mi (13 sq km), with over 3,000 steps linking in many different levels.The
    Lake Titicaca is also a good one to see according to the Inca legend, from the dark waters of the Titicaca Lake (most highest navigable lake in the world). Take a look at this link and you will find other Things to do in Peru. I hope you have a good time there,take care.

3. DawnontheAmazon

DawnontheAmazon New Member

Hi Pete, the best time to visit Peru is always whenever you can. Planning a trip around the weather is only slightly tweaking the odds. One time I went on a three week survival fishing trip in the Amazon rainforest during the so called wet season and it did not even sprinkle for 13 day straight days.

Another time I was at Machu Picchu for three days, and Cuzco for 5 days over Christmas and the weather was wonderful. Two mornings there was no mist on Machu Picchu and photography was perfect.

I agree with ftuley that Jan-Mar are the traditional beach times, but I spent a week in Mancora in early Dec and it was great. Besides the price is usually cheaper in the "off season".

Something else to consider is when is the weather bad where you live? That is the best time to travel.

I love Peru. For me there is no off season. I am sure you will have a fine adventure when ever you can visit Peru.

4. Travel Argentina

Travel Argentina New Member

So maybe it's worth going for several days if you want to ensure the weather is clear enough for taking great photos?

5. Dina

Dina New Member

I was also trying to plan a visit to Peru and found this post, you have answered me too, Thanks

6. villassun

villassun New Member

I'll be going to Peru this summer for 10-14 days to collect plants as part of a university trip. Has anyone been in Peru in summer? what's the weather like?

7. Ruby

Ruby Guest

@villasun: it can be pretty cold in Peru at night even in summer, especially if you plan to wonder in the mountains collecting plants.

You'll want to pack a lot of layers for night time and carry plenty of sun screen and short layers for sweaty hot days.

I'd imagine you'd be hitting the rainforest area, of course, to collect plants. Be aware that it is much warmer and wetter than say Cuzco, Lima or other high altitude cities, so be prepared for all of it.

Also, if you're going to spend time in the rainforest, be sure to get your shots and immunizations vaccines, and bring water purification tabs and your own toilet paper. Have fun!

8. Bery Smith

Bery Smith New Member

Hello,

I think the best time to visit Peru in month of march and april.The weather was alternately misty and sunny, with a little rain during two of the nights. The path was busy - even though it's off season. I would hate to think how busy it is during the summer.

Thanks lot
    Bery Smith

9. travelm12

travelm12 New Member

Re: Best time to go to Peru

I can tell you that the best time to go to Peru to hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is between Spring and Fall, which is basically the dry season.

If you're wondering what month to choose, I'd say April or October are the best time to do the Inca Trail because there are fewer crowds, weather is pleasant, accomodation and flights to Peru will be also cheaper.

Btw, the Inca Trail over 20 miles long and it's not as easy as some folks make it to be so, be sure you're in good shape!

10. asderoatos

asderoatos New Member

cheapest time to visit peru

I think the best time to visit Peru is the cheapest time to visit Peru, which is late autumn (low season). I traveled during the month of November without having to pay more than $900 for the plane tickets and the best thing is that weather was just right (not too hot not too cold).

I've been reading on this forum that someone paid $2000..thats just crazy! Listen guys, if you want to have a great time in Peru and not break the bank choose airliners such as Taca Airlines, Lan or United Airlines.

Of course, if you travel in December, June or July you might have to pay up to $2000 or more, but then again that's what high season is all about!

11. jennadsen

jennadsen New Member

best season for peru

Peru's winter is the the best season to be in the country in my opinion as weather is dry and more stable for doing things like jungle treks in the reserved zone of the manu preserve.

Also, you will want to spend at least 4 weeks in Peru. There is no point in coming to Peru for a two week trip as is a short amount of time. Also, it'll take you at least weeks to get used to the altitude which can make the whole experience in Peru a bad one if you don't get used to it.

12. maskaez

maskaez New Member

January and February are worst months to visit Peru

I agree with the last poster the worst months to visit Peru are January and February. The only good thing out these months is that you will be outside the main tourist season so you won't have to suffer that many fellow travelers.

I was in Peru in October and November and it seemed to rain most days though it was never for too long. of course. However, you can't always predict the weather so it may be lucky not to get any rain.

Either way, if you want to spend a lot of time visiting Machu Picchu, trekking the Inca Trail and camping then the months of January and February aren't the best.

13. narina12

narina12 New Member

Best time to travel to Machu Picchu

If you want to avoid the hordes of tourists and bad weather, I would say that the best time to travel to Machu Picchu is either May or September. If you go in May it'll be just after the rainy season so if you are doing the Inca trail, I'd suggest to time the trip to end with a full moon for the best experience

Avoid February as you will only get rain, rain and more rain, and the inca trail to Machu Picchu will be closed anyway.

14. lesanecrooks

lesanecrooks New Member

best time to visit Cuzco

not sure about the whole of Peru, but from experience if you want to visit Cuzco in either june, july or august, you need to be aware that these are the months Peruvian kids break from schools for their summer holidays, and special celebrations take place.

It's great to be in Cuzco during June 24th which is when Inti Raymi takes place, which is the second largest festival in South America after Carnival in Rio de Janeiro.

15. Dwele

Dwele New Member

traveling to Peru during the tourist season

If you want to mingle with other travelers then i suggest traveling to Peru during the tourist season (May through to October). Though remember that there'll be huge crowds, plain tickets will be expensive and tourist attractions will be overpriced.

The tourist season has also got the driest months, which is really the best time to to do Machu Pichu and the Inca Trail in my opinion. If you still want to travel during the tourist season I would recommend to avoid the months of July and August when the hordes of crowds are real crazy!

16. hp908

hp908 New Member

Peru has three main region

I wouldn't take a trip to Peru without taking into consideration factors like weather, tourist high season, annual events, and where you’re going.

If you want to travel to the coast, I suggest January-March, as that is the time of year it is sunniest and pleasant.

Anywhere in the mountain region, you should avoid January, February, and March as they are the rainy months.

Finally, if you want to head to the Amazon, I'd suggest going between June-August to avoid the rainy season and the nasty mosquitoes:)

17. packngo3

packngo3 New Member

Hey there. Rain is more of a thing to worry about than snow when trying to decide the best time to visit Peru. December through March is a particularly rainy time in the Andes and the area that you have in mind. On the other hand, May through October is usually quite dry and arguably the best time to go, with June through September being most ideal for treks along the Inca Trail.

18. ezzexgal

ezzexgal New Member

tips on hiring guides for Amazon expeditions

Here it is some good tips on hiring guides for Amazon expeditions:

1. Make sure the guide is registered with their government.
    2. Leave your trek details with your consulate and the Peru board of tourism
    3. Make sure you tell your guide that you've informed the Peru board of tourism
    4. Get a signed contract detailing the services he will be provide and at what costs up front.
    5. Pay half of the fee up front and pay the rest after the trip..this will keep your guide honest in fulfilling his end of the bargain.

Good luck!

19. maroon5

maroon5 New Member

where to go in Peru

I was reading all the comments on when to visit Peru and I wanted to share some suggestions on places to visit in Peru. There are many places besides Cuzco that you can visit such as Chiclayo, Trujillo, Cajamarca, Lambayeque, Huaraz, and Tacna.

If u want to visit the Andes region, I'd recommend Cuzco, Huancayo and Puno. If you like tropical weather then visit the Amazonas, Iquitos,Tarapoto or Cajamarca. If you enjoy the city or the beaches then visit Ica, Paracas, Trujillo, Chiclayo, Piura and Tumbes.

20. westeast

westeast New Member

dont drive in Peru

hi, if you plan to drive in Peru I advise you not to do it. We made the silly mistake to rent a car and after three days we got into dozens or near misses.

If you do want to travel by road I say either hire a car with a driver or get taxis for the day which actually dont cost much. Do hire a taxi driver through your hotel as they normally have access to friendly drivers who know the areas of interest and will even speak English.

btw, very important you know about the worst bus companies in Peru which are: Transportes Ronco Peru, Turismo Civa, Cueva, Molina Union and Expreso Huamanga.