Best time to visit Peru

Discussion in 'Peru' started by Pete, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. jimmyson778

jimmyson778 New Member

hiking the Inca Trail

I don't think you'll be able to hike the Inca Trail by yourself as you are obliged to book with a tour company. You used to be able to trek the Inca Trail on your own but because of tourist littering the trail they made this mandatory to protect the area from over use.

I'd also suggest to book your tour in advance even of you travel in the low season as these tours are really popular all year through. If you plan to travel between June and September) you'd have to book the tour a2 months in advance.

2. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

come between June and September

it depends what you want to do. if you're into trekking and mountain activities such as walking the Inca trail and visit Machu Picchu or do the Santa Cruz circuit in Huaraz then, I'd say to visit between June and September as during these months, days are clear and nights are cool.

The peak seasons when the most people come to Peru are between July and August, and from mid-December through mid-January.

3. othello2

othello2 New Member

Machu Picchu trail is hard but worth it

just giving you the heads up about doing the Machu Picchu trail...you will love doing it but it's more difficult than you may think if you're not in good shape, though it helps that a lot of people are on the trail with you because it gives you encouragement to see everyone else doing it.

If you can do it, you'll be rewarded with the best views you'll ever see in your life. Reaching the summit is the best feeling of accomplishment. Btw, I wouldn't suggest the temple of the moon to anyone because it takes 2 hours and it really isn't much to see.

4. ferrarimurcielago

ferrarimurcielago New Member

Peruvian Andes

If you are looking for a good place to enjoy outdoor activities in the Peruvian Andes, Huascarán National Park is one of the best places in my opinion. You ca do trekking and mountain climbing, as well as eco tours with local guides. Btw, Cusco is the best place to book eco tours as there are many tour agencies that can help you pair both mountain and jungle tours.

5. aknoj

aknoj New Member

more to Peru than Machu Picchu

there is more to Peru than Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail. I suggest spending three weeks in Peru and fly to Iquitos and then visit a jungle lodge from there to explore Peru's Amazon. You could also do some trekking and climbing around Arequipa and the Cordillera Blanca.

Quito is also a lovely city where you can do lots of sightseeing and book organized day trips to Parque Carolina. You can visit the marvelous museums at Fundación Guyasamín one day and a day trip to Bellavista Cloud Forest Reserve the other.

6. freenights

freenights New Member

visit Macchu Picchu in winter

Seasons are inverted in Peru as they are in the southern hemisphere so between December and February are the summer months in Peru, though at this time there is a lot of rain and the inca trail to machu picchu is closed. Winter (June-August) in peru is best for visiting machu picchu and other mountain destinations, and the best thing is that the temperature isn't so bad. The only about winter though are the hordes of crowds:(

7. monalisa777

monalisa777 New Member

going to Peru

To be honest, trips to Peru aren't cheap so if you want to get more for your bucks then, it's best to come to Peru during the off-season. Airline tickets in the off season are cheaper particularly in october when you will no problems getting a flight for a good price. As far as buses, buy your ticket in cuzco a day before you want to leave (like locals do) and not in advance (like tourists do). While waiting at the bus stop, you will see the bus people selling cheap tickets to fill their buses.

8. frogomenii

frogomenii New Member

Peru tourist card

Just like to mention that North Americans only require a valid passport to enter Peru but you need to ensure that your passport has at least 6 months left to run after the date that you enter the country.

You won't need a visa, but on arrival you will be given a tourist card which will allow you a 90 day stay in Peru. Both your passport and the tourist card will be stamped and you will be given one copy of the tourist card to keep. Don't lose the tourist card or you will find difficult living Peru.

9. XpatPJ

XpatPJ New Member

No snow in Machu Picchu, it is high Jungle!

May through to Mid October is dry season and is a good time to travel.