Best travel photography tips

Discussion in 'Destination360 Copyright and DMCA settlements' started by wanderer, Feb 11, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I know we have some serious photographers on this forum. Can you share some tips with me? I have a good camera, but I'm still not taking good pictures.

Help!

Thanks!

2. honestjonh1

honestjonh1 New Member

obsessed with taking photos

it's tempting to snap photos every 2 seconds when you're on vacation but my advice is not to become so obsessed with taking photos that you miss experiencing your surroundings.

3. MisterP

MisterP New Member

low-light situations

in low-light situations it's best to use a self-timer which clicks the shutter more smoothly than your finger can...saying this, many new digital cameras use "image stabilization" to help in low-light situations so you won't have to worry much about that.

4. avoidAll

avoidAll New Member

time of day is key

it's a well known fact that taking photos early in the day or late in the afternoon gives you the better photo quality. Trust me, midday light is unforgiving and it will wash away the subtleties of contrast and flattening features of whatever you're trying to photograph.

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Excellent suggestions. I never thought about the time of the day in the photos or taking too many photos. And self-timers are smart too. I love all these suggestions!

6. RoyaleCasion

RoyaleCasion New Member

My suggestion if you are having problems taking good photos of moving objects is to keep your camera in "program" mode and let the camera determine the settings for you. However, do learn how to use the other modes like Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority because you will be able to get even better pics!

7. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

It helps to get the clutter out of the picture too. Try to focus on the people or the scenery and don't take pictures of piles, random stuff, buildings, etc. A tight focus can make for a good photo.

And that's good advice about using the camera programs. They're there for a reason.

8. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I figured out yesterday that my camera has an anti-shake/anti-blur setting. It's been a huge help to use that setting!

9. Abigail

Abigail New Member

Whenever you are clicking a photo during a sunny day always turn your camera away from the sunset and shoot. By this you will get a clear picture.

10. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Would you recommend upgrading to a DSLR if you 're not a good photographer? Will it make you better when you're taking those travel shots?

11. Davis Patch

Davis Patch New Member

Good tips, I think I should try them

12. Maple Ader

Maple Ader New Member

Good question! We're just the same! LOL Now I can have some tips too, thanks to you!