Boycott Maldives for Human Rights

Discussion in 'Maldives' started by wanderer, Apr 11, 2013.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Sadly, there's a darker side to the lovely island of the Maldives. A lot of human rights violations have happened there recently, and it's important for y'all to know about it before you consider traveling there.

If you want to know more about the story, check out this article to find out more about the situation in the Maldives.

2. De34ht7

De34ht7 New Member

I'd say boycott the world for Human Rights

Just read the article..it's surely horrifying to learn this about the Maldives but unfortunetly, human rights violations occur everywhere and with more frequency than people know. Virtually any country you travel as a tourist (whether the US or Europe), you'll find thousands of cases of human violations because of economic inequality. Sadly, tourism doesn't help but make human violations a reality in poor countries like sri lanka, maldives, etc

3. adtf

adtf New Member

it's indeed sad to hear this, though i cant say that im surprised since this kind of thing happens way to often in places such as the maldives. I remember in Cambodia there was a similar issue where elephants were treated bad and people tried to boycott going there. I guess since maldives depends heavily on tourism, maybe our governments can put pressure on theirs.

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Sadly, it isn't just the Maldives where this happen. You're right, ADTF. Governmental pressure can sure make a difference.