brewery tour in Belgium

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by daredevil908, Feb 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. daredevil908

daredevil908 New Member

hey guys,

I am looking to do a brewery tour in Belgium and I wanted to know of any brewery tours in Leuven. Also, has anyone been to a Trappist monastery brewery and where can I find one in Belgium?

thanks for any ideas!

2. Ruby

Ruby Guest

hi there,

The Stellas Artois brewery in Leuven is a good place to start if you want to see how beer is made on a grand level.

InBev brewery, in Leuven, are also known for Leffe, which is one of the best-known abbey beer in Belgium

Regarding the Belgian Trappist monasteries, one of the best known Trappist monastery brewery in all of Belgium is the Chimay Brewery, and it is found in the town of Chimay.

One thing I would say though, it's that the chimay beers are very strong (around 9%)

3. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Wow, that's some really strong beer! I'm not familiar with abbey beers, being a poor American with bad taste. What are those like?

4. Ruby

Ruby Guest

abbey beers tasting

I tasted abbey beers before but it was nothing spectacular. In fact I kinda didn't like it... I thought it was a bit on the watery side, with a bit too much lemon up front. There is a nice spiciness to the beer, but it leaves your mouth tasting of ashtray (lol)..I guess you do have to be a bit of a beer fan to enjoy any beers, and I am not;)