bus from Boston to Portland or use train?

Discussion in 'Massachusetts' started by PacificNorth, Sep 10, 2013.

1. PacificNorth

PacificNorth New Member

Both the bus and train are a great way way to travel from Boston to Portland Maine. The Concord Coachlines bus service and the Amtrak Downeaster train service will be the ones to choose from, but I personally go with the bus. Here it's why:

The Concord Coachlines bus service is extremely efficient and comfortable (i.e. movies are shown and they offer free WiFi). The Amtrak Downeaster train service actually pricier and the ride to Portland ME is longer than the bus, which is bizarre.

2. 4guys

4guys New Member

You forgot to mention the ferry, which I think it's coolest way to get from Boston to Portland. I have actually done the ferry before for the leg back from Portland to Boston. Portland has several ferry docks but all the passenger ferry docks are located to the north of Portland, nearer the city center. Casco Bay Lines is the main ferry service provider.

3. honestjonh1

honestjonh1 New Member

The Downeaster from Boston to Portland is okay because of the free wi-fi but it has always delays but most people aren't even aware of it. Be sure to check out their website or call them up as their website can be unclear. As I say, be prepared to wait a minimum of 20-30 minutes for your train;)