buying a prepaid phone in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Powercharger, May 10, 2013.

1. Powercharger

Powercharger New Member

Australia is such a wonderful place. I had the opportunity to be in Sydney a few times and loved every bit of it. If you too plant to fly there for vacation of relocate, you may want to look into buying a prepaid phone there to be able to call family and be accessible in case of emergencies. You can bring your one if you want but my suggestion is to buy a cheap internet phone (~$35) from Coles, Woolworths supermarket or Australia Post Office.

2. DaneDegale

DaneDegale New Member

yes, you could buy a pre paid fone or get pre pay sim card like 2 degrees SIM or vodafone SIM and put it in your phone. Both are super cheap to purchase (less than $20). I would recommend Vodafone SIM but it's best you check what international calls will cost for your country.

3. loadingBord

loadingBord New Member

Yep, the sim option is better, though wait until you arrive there to get your sim with either Optus, Vodafone, or Telstra. A sim will not cost you no more than a couple of bucks, though Telstra does have a reputation for being more expensive but they have better network coverage in really rural areas.

4. troyan

troyan New Member

telstra has the best coverage in australia so it's best you go with them. You can get the sim card at prety much any shop or grocery stores. By the way, be wary of some internet telephone providers because some sell coverage that it is actually allocated by telstra and limited.