calgary/rockies in december

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ck.10@wanadoo.f, Jul 22, 2007.

1. ck.10@wanadoo.f

ck.10@wanadoo.f New Member

hello everyone out there
    I intend flying into calgary from the uk in december.What I'm trying to do is get a trip through the rockies but see that the train doesn't seem to run in december.Whale watching or something else really great would be an alternative, I have about a week as then I need to get to Vancouver and ultimately to Dawson creek BC within about 7 or 8 days. Please does have anyone have any great ideas for that first week. I know it will be cold but I dont want to be skiing and such like as I'm not young and fit........please please any advise/help would be so kind of you.
    heres hoping
    ck

2. mjh_ca

mjh_ca New Member

Hi ck,

Maybe take a tour to Banff - there is lots to see there (shopping, etc). It is about a one hour drive from Calgary. There is plenty of sightseeing to do in the mountains - take the Gondola in Banff to the top of Sulphur Mountain. Go for a swim in the hot springs.

If you want to see an amazing hotel experience, go to Lake Louise and check in to the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

In Calgary, you can go to Canada Olympic Park and get a tour of the olympic ski jump tower, bobsled/luge track, etc. Tourists can also pay to go on a (short) bobsled ride.

At night, a bar/restaurant called "Aussie Rules" is a really fun experience (reservations required). They have dueling pianos which is quite entertaining and the crowd gets pretty rowdy and participates in the process. Next door is Jubilations dinner theatre which is also fun.

As for getting to Vancouver... you could fly or drive to Edmonton and then take the regular passenger train (VIA Rail) to Vancouver from there. It isn't the Rocky Mountain tourist train, but you would still have some very nice views!

Hope you enjoy your trip!