can i go to Puerto Rico by boat?

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico' started by dumarton, May 9, 2011.

1. dumarton

dumarton New Member

Hi all,
    Please forgive the naivety of my question...I have no idea whether this exists. My husband, toddler and I want to move to PR with our 5 small dogs.

we can't travel by plane so I'm wondering whether there exists a passenger boat (dog-friendly) leaving from the east coast (New Jersey)??

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

Yes, you can but there is a mound of paperwork if you get off the boat and never get back on! Honestly, I'd seriously discourage you from using a passenger boat...Also, most cruise lines and boats don't even allow pets unless they are service animals.

Having said this, you can always look for a repositioning cruise that disembarks in PR, they allow pets and are also way cheaper than regular cruises.

By the way, if the dog are small, they could fit in a pet carrier and go in-cabin with you, though you may have to pay a friend's RT ticket from NJ to PR since I think each animal has to be accompanied by a paying adult.

Good luck!

3. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

You might be able to charter a boat cruise. A lot of captains out there are willing to set up personalized trips. I would imagine it costs a fortune. Or you might be able to find someone at a marina who doesn't mind dogs aboard.