Can I use my iPhone in Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mitraveler, Jan 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Is it possible to take an American cell phone and use it in Canada? I know I have a friend in Canada with an iPhone, but she has a Canadian plan. Can I take my phone with me next time I got Ontario? I don't want huge data overages when I visit Canada .

2. darkerthanG

darkerthanG New Member

Can I use my iPhone in Canada? yes u can

An American iPhone will work in Canada, but it needs to be unlocked. You cannot just pop in your SIM card for it to work. It must be unlocked to be used with Rogers or Fido (the only GSM networks in Canada). It will not work with Telus or Bell because they are CDMA networks!

3. BilleiJean

BilleiJean New Member

iPhone expensive charges

yeah, what darkerthang said is true but I would recommend not using it unless you absolutely have too. International charges are ridiculous and will make your bill skyrocket. It you do need to use it I suggest that you try adding an international plan for that month you're traveling.

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

You could check with your provider...sounds like it would only work if you have AT&T or T-Mobile since they have the GSM phone. It's possible to add on international service for the month while you're there.

5. welcomeprofes

welcomeprofes New Member

using your phone abroad

It's pretty easy to get a sim card for your iphone everywhere you go. In the US I got a T-mobile one but you can buy an AT&T too if you prefer. In the UK I went with 02 with a data "bolt on" and France I think we got an Orange SIM. It is pretty easy to purchase a prepaid data sim in each country you go to and having data access is excellent while on holiday.

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Now that we have this figured out: do the maps work in Canada? Any apps that would be good to download?

7. ankydas

ankydas New Member

Yeah of-course you can but if you a globel sim card or you need to buy a sim card from canada as well.

8. mansi02padhya

mansi02padhya New Member

Re: Can I use my iPhone in Canada? yes u can

thanks @mitraveler. thanks for your this valuable reply. I was also looking to know can Iphone be used in Canada !