Can you take a rental car into Mexico?

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by wanderer, Mar 11, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

This is a different question from if you'd want to. Is is possible to take your rental car across the border? Last time I was in Tucson, we got in a huge fight about it and ended up not even trying. I've wondered since then.

2. lowtide

lowtide New Member

driving into Mexico

got in a huge fight? i think anyone would be nuts to take a rental car into Mexico. Border towns are not nice areas or so im told.

3. maritimekl

maritimekl New Member

rental car into Mexico

I know the car rental companies in San Diego do let you take your rental car across the border, but i am not so sure about Tucson....I personally suggest taking your rental to the border and park it on the U.S. side and walk. oh, dont forget carrying your passport as I believe U.S. ID's won't do it alone anymore. ..good luck!

4. NileRiver22

NileRiver22 New Member

do u really want to drive into Mexico?

SoCal is the only place where I know of car rental companies allow you to drive right into Mexico. Most car rental companies won't allow you to drive into Mexico from Arizona or Texas borders, but then again, how can you blame them? a lots of cars get seized illegally and you wouldn't want to be stranded there, do you?

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I guess it's good I lost the fight. That was part of the point...we didn't want to cross the border! I didn't even think about getting the car seized.