Cape cod summer vacation

Discussion in 'Massachusetts' started by caribbean1, Nov 1, 2007.

1. caribbean1

caribbean1 New Member

Is Cape Cod a good summer vacation spot? What are the interesting things to do and which month is perfect to plan our vacation? suggestions please.....

2. ftuley

ftuley New Member

Forty miles of pristine sandy beach, marshes, ponds, and uplands support diverse species. Lighthouses, cultural landscapes, and wild cranberry bogs offer a glimpse of Cape Cod’s past and continuing ways of life. Swimming beaches and walking and biking trails sounds like a good summer vacation. The Cape's weather changes significantly with the seasons. Spring can often be cool and damp with temperatures ranging in the mid-40s. Summer usually provides warm days, ranging between 70 and 80 degrees, and cool nights. Cape Cod, Marthas Vineyard, and Nantucket Massachusetts are all surrounded by beautiful scenic beaches. There are beaches on the bay and ocean sides of the islands, salt ponds, freshwater ponds, and freshwater kettle ponds. Bayside beaches have interesting high and low tides, where the water recedes out and sandbars are formed. Some Cape and Islands town beaches require season permits, while others are free and open to the public. Cape Cod is one of the premier golf destinations, with over 50 golf courses to choose from on Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Islands. Whether you plan to spend your Cape Cod vacation relaxing or on the go, Cape Cod offers a wide array of recreations, including land and sea activities for both the young and the young at heart.
    Here is a link to you should take a look at Things To Do In Massachusetts.
    I hope this information helps. Take care!

3. Andrew

Andrew Moderator

Summer vacation in Cape Cod, wonderful, a really nice choice. Relaxing on a sandy beach, listening to the soothing sound of the surf, enjoying the warmth of the sun, ohhhhh... what a perfect place for enjoying the summer. Spent at Cape during summer is wonderful, but it will be very crowded due to the fact that schools are out and the majority of families vacation sometime between mid-June and Labor Day. If you plan your vacation other than summer, than you are lucky!

Cape Cod is a wonderful place to visit which is having 1000’s of acres of shoreline, wonderful landscape, lighthouses, swimming beaches, historic structures, nature trails and picnic areas.
    There is plenty to do, in Cape Cod, you can enjoy the short, self-guided nature walks at the Cape Cod National Seashore in Eastham or Wellfleet. They're scenic, and well-marked. Rental bicycles and bikes are available so you can rent a bike or bicycle and ride on the Cape Cod Canal path or the Cape Cod Rail Trail path to see breathtaking natural beauty. Go for a thrilling horseback tour which is also taking you to the extreme nature.
    Massachusetts Whale Watching is a popular activity for everyone while their visit. So if you find time don’t miss this.
    Hmm, I could say driving is more relaxing, parking is easier, shops are less crowded, lodging is less expensive, and restaurants are rarely crowd, so have a nice summer vavation in Cape Cod!

4. armand

armand New Member

I'd like to suggest a different type of Cape Cod vacation that is becoming very popular. It's renting a cottage at the ocean in the Cape Cod National Seashore Park. Most of these cottages are older in a "retro" kind of way (knotty pine walls, no cable TV, no broadband Internet service).
    The drawing point of staying at these cottages is getting a break from your daily life of TV, Internet and Xbox and spending the week having an old fashioned vacation. This is the type of vacation where the beach is the major attraction. The beach, which is only a few steps from your cottage, takes center stage but there are also other activities such as Whale-Watching, shopping, dining on seafood and going to a drive-in movie.
    Although such a spartan vacation may at first make you recoil and say you'd prefer a full-service resort, many families who do take such a vacation, end up returning year after year because they are creating family times that will be fondly remembered by their children for the rest of their lives. Evenings playing family games or making a jigsaw puzzle or taking a family stroll along the ocean beach by moonlight create memories that no one will every erase.
    Doing a Google search for "cape cod oceanside cottages" will bring you a list of such rentals. If you want to be in the National Seashore, however, you will have to find properties in the Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro or Provincetown areas. My favorite is the Wellfleet Area because you are not too far from other parts of the Cape and this allows you access to a larger variety of activities.

5. strongbolg

strongbolg New Member

Most of the Cape is family friendly

Most of the Cape is family friendly so you can't go wrong anywhere you stay, though Provincetown and Wellfleet are my favorite spots as they are very close to Cape Cod National Seashore.

The town of Dennis is in the heart of Cape Cod and it is another well known family friendly spot with good accommodations for families.

If you prefer the idea of being at the beach front, motels like Colony Beach have kitchenettes overlooking the ocean so you won't have to wait in line with hungry kids at one of the many nearby restaurants.

6. Atl

Atl New Member

Martha's Vineyard and Nantucke

Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are all surrounded by beautiful scenic beaches some of which are on the bay and some on the ocean side of the islands. I personally recommend staying in Nantucket for a perfect family vacation with kids.

Another great thing about Nantucket's beaches is that they are easily accessed by bike, or from the island's NRTA shuttle bus service. However, you'll need to purchase a Beach Driving Permit from the Police Department if you want to drive on beaches that are controlled by the Town.

7. adelante

adelante New Member

camping in Cape Cod

If you are planning a vacation to Cape Cod with kids without spending an arm and a leg, I'd suggest camping in one of the state parks, private campgrounds or on the beach in places like the Cape Cod National Sea Shore on the Lower Cape which allows RV camping on the beach at Race Point Beach in Provincetown.

Remember that camping on the rest of Cape Cod’s beaches is not allowed, though two exceptions are Waquoit Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve and Washburn Island near Mashpee/Falmouth on Cape Cod’s south shore.

8. thieryhenrii

thieryhenrii New Member

staying in Wellfleet

I would suggest staying in Wellfleet as there many cottages to rent and many nice bay beaches without nasty waves where kiddos can swim in safely.

There is also a cute little downtown, several nice restaurants, and Provincetown isn't far away. You can do whale watching in Provincetown, though you may want to reconsider this if you are traveling with small toddlers as they'll get seasick.

9. destplanher

destplanher New Member

things you can do in Cape Cod

There are many cool places and things you can do in Cape Cod like visiting the Cape Cod Children's Museum, which has lots of fun exhibits and interactive games. If you plan to visit next month, I'd also recommend seeing a performance at the Cape Playhouse as there's children's theater on Friday mornings in throughout August.

You must also take a whale-watching trip, while in Cape Cod. The only place for this (as far as I know) is in Provincetown where you will find a couple of whale-watching tour operators.

10. melchor

melchor New Member

go to Chatham

hi, I spent some summers in Chatham, and I think this spot is great for families with toddlers. I wouldn't come in August, but September when it is less crowded, and hotels and restaurants run their deals.

Beachfront hotels are mainly on the ocean which are south from the bridges to Chatham, east from Chatham to Provincetown. Btw, ocean beaches are warmer on the south side, while the water is rougher on the ocean side, though bay beaches on the north side are much more calmer for the little ones.