Carnival in Mexico

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Vicolette, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

February and March are the months to travel near and far to experience annual Mardi Gras/Carnaval events. If you plan to head south of the border from February 15 to February 21, two of biggest celebrations will be going on in Veracruz and Mazatlan. Be prepared to party hearty with parades, dances, carnaval games, beauty pageants, fireworks, music, and tons of entertainment. This is one party you don't want to miss!

2. 4amigos

4amigos New Member

mexico carnival spots

true, the biggest Carnaval celebrations will take place in Veracruz and Mazatlan, but other celebrations take place throughout the country in places like Cozumel, Merida, Campeche, Ensenada. I'll be heading to Merida since where carnaval last for a whole week and they'll have also parades, music and dancing similar to Veracruz and Mazatlan.

3. armadasSpan

armadasSpan New Member

want to see a very different Carnival in Mexico?

to be honest most of those places will have a similar theme...if you want to see a very different Carnival celebration go to San Juan Chamula. The people there give Carnival a pre-colonial connotation to commemorate the lives of the Mesoamericans. During the festivities people run through the streets with flaming branches, re-enact Chiapan military battles and perform traditional dances.

4. bigbruv

bigbruv New Member

Carnival in Mexico lowkey

mexico is all right but their street festivals aren't anything like Carnaval in Rio or Salvador. Neither Merida nor Campeche is as big as those two Brazilian mondo-cities... believe it or not, mexicans are generally a lot more conservative than Brazilians in terms of dress, public drunkenness, etc.

5. walkmanX

walkmanX New Member

drunkenness in Mexico

it's annoying the drunkenness in Mexico because carnival used to be so much better..I had always considered Meridas Carnival more family oriented but it seems that's changed now. Last year's I remembered seeing beer stands every few feet and no effort made to control underage drinking and drunks.