chance of getting a 1st class upgrade?

Discussion in 'Utah' started by spellcheck, Oct 11, 2010.

1. spellcheck

spellcheck New Member

Going to Salt Lake City..I booked a normal ticket with Delta but now i want to upgrade to 1st class. On the website it says that I can be placed on the standby list for 1st class and pay a nominal fee for the upgrade, and all I have to do is show up early!

What will be the chance of me getting a 1st class upgrade on the day?..is this the only way?

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

Unfortunately, you'll have to be on standby for your upgrade to Salt Lake City. If lucky, you'll than have to cancel the normal seat and buy a first class seat, and pay the additional change fee. Other than that, that's it unless you are a medallion level flyer. Basically, if there are many medallion flyers wanting upgrades on the day, they will take priority so your chances of getting a 1st class upgrade is practically non-existent.

3. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Do they charge you anyway or only if you actually fly first class?

Often, you can redeem frequent flier miles for a guaranteed upgrade.

4. Rhode2Hawaii

Rhode2Hawaii New Member

upgrading to first class

the chances of you being able to upgrade to first class can only happen on flights where first class is pretty empty and no one is upgrading. Also, remember that only certain fare codes are eligible for standby upgrades. Also, Delta's $75 is a joke when most other airlines is just about $35.

5. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

It's amazing to me how much the airlines charge for everything. They just take more and more while giving us less. The good thing about Salt Lake City is that it's Delta's hub, so there are more flights going through on an average day. With more flights, you have a greater chance of getting that upgrade.