Cheap flights to Fort Lauderdale

Discussion in 'Flights' started by mitraveler, Jul 9, 2013.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I'm looking for some advice on how to fly into Fort Lauderdale cheaply. My family's planning to go next summer, and I don't really want to drive somewhere so far south. Is it cheaper to fly into Miami and drive? Or is it better to catch one of the flights to Fort Lauderdale?

2. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

There are travel deals to be found as well as package deals through your travel agent but I wouldn't wait till the last minute to book a flight. If you fly, you'll need a rental car as the Ft. Lauderdale, Miami Beach and Miami areas cover a lot of territory with places to go and things to do. It comes down what's more convenient and budget-friendly; paying for a plane ticket and rental car to get around or driving and saving the cost of a plane ticket but incurring the cost of gas. Check out gasbuddy.com to get an idea of current gas prices so you can estimate the cost. Current price in Miami is $3.58 per gallon. The one advantage to flying is eliminating the long drive to south Florida. :)

3. Delorios

Delorios New Member

You get better deals into Fort Lauderdale. I dont see any real savings flying into Miami and driving, plus Miami airport is very busy and is always congested, which means you can get from Fort Lauderdale airport to Port of Miami (POM) than from Miami airport to POM.

4. karlinlee

karlinlee New Member

You can find lots of discount on booking air tickets for Fort Lauderdale. Try online websites.

5. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Cool, thanks for the advice. It looks it's not worth the hassle to fly to Miami. I appreciate the expert advice! What airlines would you recommend? I'm flying from Chicago or Detroit probably.

6. latimajones

latimajones New Member

This has always been true about miami airport but the good thing is that Miami airport is served by all major airlines (fort lauderdale isn't) . Also, most hotels are very close to miami airport which is nice. Plus the long 60 minute drive to miami is boring and expensive if taking a taxi. As far as airlines, Spirit, United, American AirTran or Southwest offer similar flight prices (around $300RT).

7. karlinlee

karlinlee New Member

I would prefer to visit Fort Lauderdale rather than Miami. Miami is a very busy place. And if you want cheap air tickets then pre-booking of tickets will help a lot. And second thing which has a great impact on your flight fare is in which season you want to fly. If you are looking in an off season then you will get a cheaper ticket.