cheap hostel in Panama

Discussion in 'Panama' started by walworldII, Apr 5, 2011.

1. walworldII

walworldII New Member

I am thinking not to book accommodation in advance, and push my luck while saving some money by looking for accommodation once I land in Panama..my question is: how easy or hard is it to find a cheap hostel in Panama?

2. Danny

Danny Moderator

If you travel outside of the peak season, you should be fine, but otherwise I'd suggest booking accomodation ahead of time.

Either way, finding a cheap hostel in Panama is a pretty easy if you're staying in popular places like Panama City which boasts lots of hostels. The hostels in Panama City are plentiful with the El Cangrejo district being one of the best spots to find a good hostel.

Fro even cheaper accommodation, try the western region of the Comarca de Kuna Yala which is another place where you can find a nice selection of Panama hostels. For instance, the Hotel San Blas which serves up some pretty good food, and you can enjoy interacting with the native Kuna who live nearby.

3. Sanblasman

Sanblasman New Member

The best hostels in Panama City are full almost all year round so if you want to stay with one of them its advisable to book in advance. They are also the cheapest options. The three main hostels are Lunas Castle, Mamallena Backpackers and Hospedaje Caso Viejo. There are a few others that have sprang up over the last year. If there is a low season it is last two weeks of September until a week or so into November. This is also the wettest time in Panama...usually...

Almost no hostels in El Cangrejo now that I can think off, either closed down or moved location.

The cheapest accommodation in San Blas is with Franklins, Robinsons or Inas all charging from $20/30 per person per night included three meals. Not sure Hotel San Blas exists anymore if it does it is more expensive and goes under another name.

Enjoy Panama...