Christmas time cruises

Discussion in 'Cruises' started by wanderer, Sep 10, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Has anyone been on a cruise the week of Christmas? I was just wondering what that was like. Is it festive? Do people ignore the holidays? We're looking for something different to do this year. Thanks for your insight.

2. fotefote3

fotefote3 New Member

yes, very much so. All cruise liners decorate their ships with pretty lights during the Holidays, though not everybody celebrates Christmas. Also, cruise prices go off-the-roof during Xmas week, which for me it's really off-putting. I thought to do a Xmas cruise of the Caribbean last year but the prices were ridiculous. Best you book for either the first or second week of December if you dont want to burn a hole in your pocket.

3. bestpuncher

bestpuncher New Member

a cruise over the new year is a nice way to spice up the Christmas holidays, though like the last poster said it isn't for budget-conscious people. If money is tight I'd wait till the first week of January to find the real bargains.

if you do plan to cruise during christmas school week be aware that Carnival and Royal Caribbean are the preferred choice for families who travel with their children over the holidays.

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Thank you so much for your advice. I never thought that would be super expensive during the actual week of Christmas, but that makes perfect sense since so many people are off and looking to vacation. A first week in January cruise sounds like a good idea. I'll have to see if the family goes for it.

5. stillbslling

stillbslling New Member

avoid cruising in Christmas

i personally prefer to spend Christmas at home with family rather than take a cruise over Christmas, pay a premium and have to contend with all those teenage families that'll be cruising. Don't mean to sound negative but I think you won't find any bargains during Christmas week...even now, at this late stage of the year the best ones will be sold out.