Cities to visit in Russia

Discussion in 'Russia' started by Vicolette, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

It goes without saying Moscow and St. Petersburg are at the top of the list as tourist destinations. For those who want to experience Russia without the crowds and soak up the culture and atmosphere, where are the best out of the way or off the beaten track cities to visit?

2. sophiewilson

sophiewilson New Member

I have read somewhere that Vladivostok and Khabarovsk are Russia's hidden gems. Check them out :)

3. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Well, the Olympics are coming to Sochi in 2014. It's a resort town down by the Black Sea. If it has the infrastructure to host the Olympics, I would like it would be an interesting place to visit. They call Sochi the Riviera of Russia.

4. Vicolette

I've been reading about the progress they're making in getting Sochi ready for the Olympics. It looks like a lovely location to visit. To see a lot of the scenic landscape, the Trans Siberian Railway is a good way to see the country with cities along the way including Vladivostok.

5. abercrombiekent

abercrombiekent New Member

I would like it would be an interesting place to visit. They call Sochi the Riviera of Russia.To see a lot of the scenic landscape, the Trans Siberian Railway is a good way to see the country with cities along the way including in Russia.It looks like a lovely location to visit.

6. Lemish

Lemish New Member

Hello, Vicolette
    It's amazing, but i've visited most of Russian cities and towns - Samara, Saratov, Kursk, Orel and many others, so i have enough experience to advice. The small russian towns are charming, but, in my opinion, too much boring. The most interesting places are always poor and bleak. So, i strongly recommend you to visit russian capitals. If you choose good travel agency, you won't notice a problem with crowd. Moreover, i recommend you to choose shore excursions, providing by Aventura Travel Agency. It is calm and interesting trip, they offer.
    As for Sochi - the crowd there much more huge than in Moscow.

7. Vicolette

Thanks for the information about the best options for visiting cities in Russia. Firsthand critiques are always helpful. :)