Closest beach

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by bearlover24, Jun 12, 2007.

1. bearlover24

bearlover24 New Member

I thought maybe someone might be able to help me. We are planning a trip to a NC beach but not sure which one and also which would be closer from Knoxville TN. We have 2 small children so we were thinking the shortest drive time might be helpful. Thanks in advance!

2. thedreiers

thedreiers New Member

My family and I have just returned from our first visit to a North Carolina beach. We live near Greensboro. For us, we decided to go to Willmington, NC and camp at the KOA campground there. Willmington is located right of the I-40 and the 17. Wrightsville beach was a short 10 minute drive from the KOA. We have two small children, 6 and 4 and they both had a fantastic time. There was plenty of parking $1.50 per hour, and the ocean is literally yards from the street, which is fantastic when carrying kids gear, ice chest, chairs, etc. We will definately be going back several times this summer.
    Good Luck

3. bella317

bella317 New Member

I live in Carolina Beach-it is very family friendly and not as crowded as Wrightsville. The beach at Fort Fisher is also gorgeous and has a picnic area with grills.
    It is definitely worth the drive to go the extra few miles to Pleasure Island beaches. Family activites include aquarium, free fireworks and outdoor movie. you can read more on my blog-its a great place.

4. angie2007

angie2007 New Member

I'm in Charlotte, does anyone know where the closest beach is to Charlotte (with two hours or so) most seem to be more then 4 hours from here?

5. bella317

bella317 New Member

Hi! yes, the closest beaches to Charlotte are Myrtle Beach in SC or Carolina Beach NC-both approx 4 hours away.

6. castroJ

castroJ New Member

hello, What is the closest beach with nice sand to Memphis? I've been told that Memphians flock to Destin??? any suggestions welcome..

7. Ruby

Ruby Guest

hey castroJ: Destin and Panama City are definitely popular with people from Memphis, though if you want a good beach that is more secluded, I'd recommend St. George Island in Florida which is about 65 miles east of Panama City.

Alternatively, Gulf Shores Alabama is very nice and an easy drive from Memphis, and it can be as secluded as you want, or full of 'excitement.'

8. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

One of the scenic beaches near Charlotte is Ocean Isle located close to the North Carolina/South Carolina border approximately 195 miles away. Other beaches to consider are the Outer Banks, Nags Head, Myrtle Beach, and Topsail. Travel time will take between 4 and 6 hours.

9. Jenie

Jenie New Member

The popular tourist destination of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, is the closest beach to Charlotte.