Cloudy days

Discussion in 'Destination360 Copyright and DMCA settlements' started by wanderer, Jun 11, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

What are your tips for taking pictures on cloudy days?

2. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Don't be afraid of cloudy days....they can be better for pictures than bright light. Sometimes it's good to turn on the flash, but I'd recommend taking them both with and without if you have time. It sometimes helps to have the sun behind your shoulders too, if there is any, to keep the subject of your photo clear.

3. ifeellike4

ifeellike4 New Member

a professional photographer once told me that during cloudy days you need to use exposure compensation to decrease exposure by 1/3 Exposure Value and increase the saturation of the colors in the photograph. Of course, I have no clue what it all means and silly me never asked to explain in "plain English". LOL

4. turnover45

turnover45 New Member

taken photos on cloudy days

If you own a DSLR camera, you can simply change your ISO setting for cloudy days. If day has low lighting you will need to select a high ISO setting but be careful not to overdo it because as you increase, you are also lowering the ability of your camera to capture sharp details.

5. precised5

precised5 New Member

I agree with that...on an overcast day you will need at least 640 or even as high as 1600 ISO depending how cloudy it is. However, most importantly don't forget to pay special attention to what you're shooting because on a cloudy day the foreground and background can easily appear gray.

6. Abigail

Abigail New Member

Cloudy days can present many opportunities for great photographs. In fact, once you discover how easy it is to get great results, you’ll look forward to a cloudy day as much, if not more, than a sunny day.On your first few cloudy day adventures, consider taking your digital camera. In spite of the differences in the cameras, what you learn about how the lighting changes your compositions and setup will be equally useful with your film camera. And with the digital, you’ll feel free to experiment without the added cost of film on your mind.

7. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Thank you so much for the advice Abigail, and everyone else! You make a really good point that digital is perfect for experimenting. It's not like it costs very much to play with your digital camera.