Colosseum underground tours

Discussion in 'Italy' started by wanderer, Feb 15, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

The Roman Colosseum has been a travel destination for millennia, but today's visitors have the unique opportunity to tour more of the wonder than ever before. Some of the underground passageways have been added to the tour opportunities, as has the third-floor parapet. The Colosseum is also getting a makeover of sorts. It's being cleaned from top to bottom and given permanent lighting.

2. fassoPP

fassoPP New Member

colosseum underground italy

this is true about the addition of more underground levels on the tour as well as the "third ring", but the only is that you can only be visit it in a group (up to 26 people per group) accompanied by a guide. There is also a cost of 9 Euro, in addition to the regular combo ticket at 13 Euro.

3. Loogle

Loogle New Member

booking colosseum underground tours

im actually in the process of booking a trip to Rome with my husband for the summer... can you tell me how to book the ticket? what if I wanted to book for July, is that possible?

4. Last.Fm

Last.Fm New Member

booking colosseum in advance

you can book tickets in advance but you wuld have to pay by credit card at the time of booking. If you wanted to book for July. the charges will be as follows: €13 ticket to see the Colosseum/Palatine/Forum, €9 for the guided tour of the underground and third floor, and €2 booking fee.

After you book, they will send you an email confirmation number which you have to present at the Colosseum window.

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

It looks like you can find a lot of tour companies that will give tickets (and allow you that groups-only access). Or you could directly to the Colosseum's website and order the tickets. Buying tickets ahead of time will save you having to wait in line once you arrive. It's available at http://www.pierreci.it/home-page/en.aspx .

6. jeffr

jeffr New Member

I went to the colosseum a few years ago. It was amazing. I love the movie Gladiator, so it was cool to be there and envision what it once was!

7. Nowayin

Nowayin New Member

Hypogeum tours

anyone traveling to Italy should know that it's very possible that this year there won't be a chance to see the underground level reopened because of ongoing restorations that started last year in October. They said it would be only temporary ( 2-3 weeks) but in Rome when they say temporary they mean eternal (lol)

8. italytours

italytours New Member

I went to Colosseum last year. It is the amazing city among them, which are I visited.