Cruise Tourist Visas

Discussion in 'Cruises' started by LordoftheMings, Dec 25, 2012.

1. LordoftheMings

LordoftheMings New Member

I was hoping someone on this forum could tell me about tourist visas when traveling on a cruise? Im getting conflicting info from other sources and cruise operators are't very clear on whether passengers need a visa for a cruise. I hold a south African passport while my wife holds an american one, and we're planning a Mediterranean or South American cruise. Do we need a visa?

2. MisterP

MisterP New Member

The rule of thumb when it comes to knowing if you need a cruise visa is down to your nationality, countries you are visiting and ports of call. Since one of you holds an American passport, you won't need a visa for cruises to the Mediterranean, Caribbean and South America. However, as a South African traveller, you will need what they call "multiple-entry Schengen visa", which has to be issued by the country in which you are planning to spend the longest time.

3. felinefirend

felinefirend New Member

mandatory to have a passport

A visa always depends on what passport you hold but one thing that I know for sure is that you will need a valid passport in order to do a cruise. I remember a day when as a US or Canadian citizen, we could cruise without a passport...all we needed was a form of photo identity, but now it's mandatory for all cruise line passengers to carry a passport.

4. fireproof66

fireproof66 New Member

that's not quite accurate. If you were to take a cruise to Brazil on a south african passport, you wouldn't require a visa for a stay of up to 90 days; while as an American citizen you would need to get a Brazilian tourist visa before embarking on the cruise.

5. 999-1

999-1 New Member

ask your embassy

hell there, my advice is to check with your embassy rather than rely on a forum for info regarding visas. Most countries have different visa rules for 'ordinary tourists' and cruise ship passengers. For example, when I traveled to Turkey, in order to get a visa (they call it a 'blanket visa' which is issued to the cruise line) it was mandatory I entered and left Turkey on the same ship. The drawback was that I couldn't spend the night off-ship, and I wasn't even allowed to hang around the port area.