Curacao now its own country

Discussion in 'Curacao' started by wanderer, Nov 30, 2011.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Somehow, I managed to miss this. At the end of 2010, the Netherlands Antilles ceased to be....which means Curacao became its own country, along with Sint Maarten. The other islands are now special protectorates of the Netherlands. For Curacao, this means more tax money will stay on the island and will be used for tourism development.

2. turnover45

turnover45 New Member

Curacao newest country

yep, Curacao is the world's newest country and also on the Guinness book of records for being the newest and smallest country in the world. Mind you, Curacao is still controlled by the Netherlands but I guess this is one step closer to independence from the Netherlands.

3. herface67

herface67 New Member

Curacao now a country

the thing is that Netherlands Antilles (AN) was dissolved last year so it has not been existing for a while now. I guess it's now official so it's now Curaçao (CW), St. Maarten (SX) and BES - Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba (BQ).

4. lalmas23

lalmas23 New Member

Curacao is now country but for how long?

yep, the world welcomes the newest country but for how long Curacao will really remain independent? I wonder about the interest and welfare of the people, or will the organizations and unions be ignored like elsewhere in the world? time will tell, but my gut feeling is that the people of Curacao will not get a fair chance because of the greedy corporations who will be surely taking up power behind the scenes.

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

That's a very good question. Curacao was looking forward to more taxes from tourists, but it will be interesting to see if that is enough to support the whole country's infrastructure.

6. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I think there's still some connection to the Netherlands, since it's a special protectorate. I'm not exactly sure what that means though.