Do I need a visa to go to Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by marieanne, Sep 28, 2011.

  1. marieanne

    marieanne New Member

    Hello everyone,

    My brother and sister are coming from Japan, and she is not a US citizen, so I'm wondering whether she will need another visa to go to Canada in addition to the US visa, since we are planning a visit to Niagara Falls during their visit. All advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
  2. eventhorizon

    eventhorizon New Member

    non-US citizen going to Canada

    Being a non-US citizen with a US visa you will have to pre-apply with the Electronic System Travel Authorization. (ESTA). This is not hard to do, but you need to do it before you come as it's time consuming since customs will check you out before coming into the country. This system is online just google it. You may also need to prove to the customs people that you will intend to leave Canada after visiting the Niagara Falls.
  3. wanderer

    wanderer Moderator

    I would check with the state department to find out more about crossing into the U.S. They're a good source....if not the best...of information about how to cross borders. Its website is is pretty easy to remember: D360 also has a nice overview here.
  4. pou723

    pou723 New Member

    I-94W Visa Waiver

    one important thing to know about the I-94W Visa Waiver is that: When you visit Canada, Canadian Customs will typically removed the I-94W Visa Waiver and return it to the US customs to let them know that you have left the country. However, if you plan to return to the USA you have to tell Canadian Customs this so they will not take out the I-94W Visa Waiver from your Passport... otherwise when you try to cross back into the USA again, you'll have to go thru the whole process all over again and pay.
  5. westeast

    westeast New Member

    visa for Canada

    Yes, you will need to obtain a visitor Visa, which you will be able to get from any consulate, high commission or embassy of Canada. You didn't mention where in Canada you were going...I should then mention that the Province of Quebec has a separate process in allocating visas. If you plan to visit Quebec, you will be required to obtain permission from the Quebec office prior to filing a visa application.
  6. casandraM

    casandraM New Member

    non-US visa for Canada?

    Unfortunetly, if you aren't american or British your brother and sister will need a temporary visa even if the're going to be in Canada for 2 days. Prior 9/11 they've would've been okay to travel to Canada without a visa as long as you had a passport. The days of easy and hassle-free travel in North America are truly gone I am afraid to say:(
  7. hamsrter_23

    hamsrter_23 New Member

    Citizenship and Immigration Canada

    I have lived here in the US for 10 years and I am a non-US citizen. I have a greencard though which allows me to visit my family in Canada. Since your friends are non-US citizens and haven't got a green card, I would think they'd need a visa. Either way, if you hold citizenship from another country, it's best you check the latest requirements from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site.

Share This Page