Do you need a passport to visit Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mitraveler, Aug 1, 2011.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

My friend just got back from 10 days in Toronto and I was thinking that sounded like a great trip. But I'm not sure if you need a passport to go. What's the state of things today? I know they change all the time.

Thanks!

2. jeffrie

jeffrie New Member

you don't need a passport to visit Canada

As far as I know you don't need a passport to visit Canada, though you need your birth certificate and a driver's license because you will have to prove who you are and that you are an American citizen when entering Canada and when returning to the US.

Having said this, if I were you I would get a passport now as the trend for needing a passport to travel between neighbouring countries like Canada and Mexico is on the up...

3. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

That sounds like good advice, Jeffrie. You can get a passport card, which allows you to travel between the U.S. and Canad, Mexico, and the Caribbean. It costs less than a typical passport, and proves that you are a U.S. citizen. You can get them at the post office and other places you would get a regular passport.

4. krainey

krainey New Member

Definitely the quick passport cards work, and some states, such as Washington, have an Enhanced Driver's License you can use. And a regular passport always works. As far as I know though, it's not possible anymore to get in and out of Canada or Mexico with just a driver's license and a birth certificate. Could be wrong though, but I've been to Vancouver BC twice in the past couple of years and I think I remember that from the websites I checked ahead of time. There are some facts about how to get a passport here, or you can check out the State Department website for details as well.

5. juanm

juanm New Member

border crossing between Canada and USA

Krainey is right! a driver's license and birth certificate wont cut it anymore unfortunetley. If you want your border crossing to go smoothly, or drive across the Canada and not been sent back home packing is to have a passport.

Another tip folks... take off your sunglasses, and switch off your cellphones before you arrive at the border control booth. I made the mistake of doing these once I arrived at the booth and got me so much hassle!

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

The mood of the border agent does make a big difference in how smooth the border crossing goes. Juanm has good advice. Make sure you are polite and paying attention. The agent who is cranky or annoyed can choose to pull you over, search the car, and make things miserable. One border agent told me that he really hated the loud music and he even thanked me for having the music down.