Dolomites Snowshoeing Hut-to-Hut Trip Report with Big Photos

Discussion in 'Italy' started by VGF, Apr 11, 2016.

1. VGF

VGF New Member

Hi All,

My wife and I had a great snowshoeing trip to the Dolomites, in northern Italy, not far from the Austrian border a few weeks ago, I finally got around to editing the photos and writing up a couple of reports. The first couple of days, it snowed the whole time, so the views were limited. The third day was gloriously sunny, so the views were stunning, just as we'd hoped for. Due to the huge storm predicted, we were often the only people in every area we went, so it was truly quiet and peaceful. Also, as snowshoers, we completely avoided all ski resorts, so the views were unspoiled by man-made lifts and ski runs. Amazing trip!

Hope it's OK to post a link here. The photos and whole reports are at fisherphotocraft on blogspot.com.

Enjoy the huge, high-quality photos!
    Vick

2. patronZ7

patronZ7 New Member

It looks so peaceful and serene there..great photos by the way. What was the average daily temperature in the Dolomites?

3. VGF

VGF New Member

Thanks! Glad you liked the photos!

It wasn't too cold at all. They said it was maybe 5-10 degrees warmer than usual this year. The coldest was the morning of this hike, when it may have been several degrees below freezing. Besides that, it was usually in the low 30's to mid-40's F. We were lucky, because they hadn't had much snow this year, then all of a sudden this huge snowstorm came through just when we arrived, so everything was pristine white.

4. VGF

VGF New Member

Hi All,

I put up more large, high-resolution photos from the trip, this time from a gorgeous, sunny day. Snow still everywhere. We hiked from morning until evening, through four different valleys past orange cliffs outlined in bright white snow. Very few people around most of the hike. They're at fisherphotocraft dot blogspot.com.

Hope you enjoy!
    Vick