Douro River Cruise Portugal

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by gkdd, Jun 9, 2008.

1. gkdd

gkdd New Member

Myself and my business partner will be in Porto next month to attend a conference and thinking of to spend couple of days to visit interesting places.my partner would like to go for a day tour in Douro River Cruise... anyone could give us a clear picture of how to organize Douro river cruise, whom to contact, interesting things to do during the day trip etc.

2. Lynnie81

Lynnie81 Moderator

The Cruise of the river Douro in Portugal combines delightful scenery with rural, unspoilt villages and towns and an opportunity to visit the great cities of Porto and Salamanca. Along the way you will also have the oportunity to visit restored palaces, places of pilgrimage, cultural centres and vineyards.

To book your cruise you ask in your hotel or you could book in advance online.

Other suggestions of things to do in Portugal would be a visit to the Porto Cathedral, check out the museums, or spend the day shopping in the Ribeira. There is also a lot of historical architecture in the area and many of the buildings are worth a look if thats something you are interested in.

If you haven't already booked your trip the Flight Comparison Tool will help you find a cheap flight

3. gkdd

gkdd New Member

After read so many reviews, finally got a useful answer, thanks.

what is the weather like in Porto next month? just so we can be prepared for...

4. Lynnie81

Lynnie81 Moderator

The weather in Portugal in June and July should be perfect for relaxing on the beach, and is ideal for your trip to the Douro River. The conditions will be hot with temperatures above 26 degrees Centigrade in most parts of the country .

Average maximum temperatures are 25 degrees Centigrade in Porto and 28 degrees Centigrade in the Algarve, though daytime temperatures usually rise to above 30 degrees Centigrade.

Rainfall is usually at a minimum except for the occasional shower in the north. As a whole the country enjoys cooling breezes from the Atlantic.

Theres actually a really helpful Weather page that you can keep an eye on leading up to your journey. Hope you have a great time.

5. gkdd

gkdd New Member

thanks for your quick response.

6. vdg23

vdg23 New Member

oh! i can do Douro River Cruise Portugal... considering a trip to Fatima, Portugal soon.what is the weather like.planning a 3 days trip so which parts of portugal can I visit during my trip in addition to Douro River Cruise . I don't mind to travel but I need to manage within 3 days... any help.. please..

7. Andrew

Andrew Moderator

I think within 3 days you can't see much places in addition to Douro River Cruise Portugal. Fatima is a very small town and not much to see, The houses-museum of the little shepherds, Fatima sanctuary and surrounding monasteries and chapels. If you decide travel some other parts of Portugal, then Lisbon is the best choice. Visit the exciting places of Lisbon and I´m sure you´ll really love it! It is located in southwestern Portugal and has many attractions. Take a trip through Lisbon on Tram 28 and you can view the entire city and the coast. The Castle of St George, Igreja de Sao Roque, Torre Vasco da Gama, Lisbon’s tallest building, Nation’s Park with plenty of fun activities and much more are available in Lisbon, so take a tour and enjoy your trip!

Visit Things To Do In Portugalpage to get some more information on getting around Portugal.

8. vdg23

vdg23 New Member

This plan is actually quite interesting, 1 day in Fatima as I plan to spend and then visit lisbon, etc from there.i think i'll visit all the places which were given... thanks Andrew.

9. pedroinlondon

pedroinlondon New Member

I've done a day cruise in the Douro last week and I can't recommend it enough! I did it with Douro Azul but there are other companies doing it too. This one has a wide choice of one to a few days cruises. If your cruise doesn't depart from Porto, you'll need the timetable for the Porto-Pocinho railway line. The train journey is an experience in itself, as is the main train station at Porto (Sao Bento)! For the timetable, visit cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?vgnextoid=0d81f9e12a584010VgnVCM1000007b01a8c0RCRD and then click on Porto/ Régua / Pocinho.
    Beware of pickpockets in Porto and just ignore the junkie beggars.
    Check out my videos of last week cruise and also of a kayak trip I did last year, in the same area. pedroinlondvideos at youtube.
    Also in Porto it's worth visiting the Casa da Musica, the new Opera and concert auditorium, right next to Casa da Musica subway station, open all day for visits, with a great restaurant on theh top floor, and a great view of all of Porto.
    Enjoy!
    Pedro