driving in Namibia advice

Discussion in 'Namibia' started by viperpowered, May 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. viperpowered

viperpowered New Member

The best and cheapest way to tour Namibia is to do a self drive rather than booking an organized tour. The only drawback to choosing a self-drive tour in Namibia is that you need to have an idea of what you want to do, where you want to visit, budget, etc. Another thing, if you do the self-driving remember that you will not be able to drive after dark. It is very dangerous and it will void your rental insurance if you have a crash. Number one risk of driving in Namibia is car wrecks.

2. yurlips

yurlips New Member

I don't think it will be cheaper if you do it yourself. Having your own personal guide and 4x4 is best in my opinion.

3. patronZ7

patronZ7 New Member

In Namibia I did a self drive tour from Windhoek. If it's of any help my itinerary was as follows:

Sossusvlei - 2 nights
    Swakopmund - 4 nights
    Cape Cross - 1 Night
    Damaraland - 2 nights
    Etosha - 3 nights
    Rundu - 1 night
    Caprivi - 2 nights
    Chobe (Botswana) - 3 nights
    Victoria Falls - 1 night

4. HikersBootz

HikersBootz New Member

Driving in Namibia is great because Namibia is one of the few countries in Africa where you can still see big game still roaming freely around the roads. My advice if you find an animal in the road is to not swerve around them because you will roll the vehicle. Also, make sure you have spare wheel in your rented vehicle because you will need it.