driving in Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey' started by everybodyfee, Nov 29, 2010.

1. everybodyfee

everybodyfee New Member

hello, what's driving in Turkey like and are the roads there good? Also, what is the minimum age for hiring a car in Turkey?

thanks

2. Danny

Danny Moderator

You will be glad to know that driving in Turkey is not too different from driving, for instance, in France or Italy. However, one thing to remember is that the main highways in Turkey are very different. They're in good condition but you're likely to find traffic jams at any time of the day.

Also, if you're driving on rural roads, remember that heavy vehicles like trucks do drive through them so do exercise great care. On the positive note, you'll love driving along Turkey's rural roads because they're fun and filled with picturesque villages.

If you want to use car rental in Turkey, you will need to be over 19 years of age to rent a standard car, however, if you wan to to hire a larger vehicle you will need to be over 25 years of age.

3. kerema

kerema New Member

I agree with Danny, driving in Istanbul can be a mess because people are always in a hurry and especially taxi drivers can drive agressively. But the rest of the country is ok. But I don't think drivers obey the rules as much as the drivers do in Frnace or Germany :(

4. Alex Akdov

Alex Akdov New Member

I was recently in Antalya. Driving is very comfortable. I'm from Russia and drive a car in Turkey is much quieter.