Driving on beaches? A good idea?

Discussion in 'Beaches' started by mitraveler, Feb 10, 2014.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Most beaches are closed to vehicles, but a few select ones allow 4X4s and pick-up trucks access to the sand. What do you think about that? The last time I was at the beach in Florida, it was quite hard to actually walk on the beach. The trucks left huge tracks, and made of mess of things. What do you think? Should it be allowed?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. Sandradullock

Sandradullock New Member

my only concern with beach driving is safety. imagine some lunatics driving on the beach carelessly without paying any attention. I dont know if its a good idea or not but i can see how it can be a lot of fun. A bit like sand dune driving.

3. SittingINN

SittingINN New Member

Not sure driving on beaches is a good idea especially with an RV. Once I saw a family who got stuck on the beach with their RV and couldn't get out. The towing vehicle struggled to get them out and it took them like 3-4 hrs..

4. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

I live in Florida and I don't agree with driving on the beach. We have enough roadways, trails, race tracks and back roads for folks to see the sights. With that said, I have been to Daytona Beach more than once in my life and dodging cars, smelling gas fumes and hearing horns honking takes away from the beach experience. They do have speed limits in place and the area for vehicles to drive is clearly marked. No vehicles are allowed in natural areas where turtles are nesting. On the west coast, you can go to Treasure Island, St Pete Beach, Ft DeSoto and never have to worry about dodging a car. My personal opinion, that's the way it should be. Beach erosion is already a problem for many beaches and vehicles traversing the area isn't helping that or the wildlife.

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I couldn't agree more. It doesn't seem safe for the vehicle occupants or the people on the beach. Plus it does a lot of damage to the sand and the wildlife. I've heard that driving is allowed in Crystal Beach, Texas, and a few places in North Carolina. Seems strange to me.

6. JemmyJerome

JemmyJerome New Member

My opinion is driving in beach is really risky and you should have a proper training.

7. Kongenavtys

Kongenavtys New Member

I wouldn´t see any points in driving on beaches unless you actually have a job that requires it (beach guard for example).

People are driving cars enough already - try to keep them away from the beaches at least.

8. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I'm heading back to Panama City, and I'm worried about the big tracks on the beach. It was the only downside to my vacation there last time. It was hard to climb over those tracks to get to the water. Do you know if people are allowed to drive on the Gulf Coast beaches? I can't really find anything about it on Google, but I know there were huge truck tracks there last time. It almost made me want to find another beach--almost!

9. Anto544

Anto544 New Member

I don't like bikes or vehicles being allowed to the beach. they will make a mess and annoyance to others. You are very right.