Dune cruising in Michigan

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by Olamycat, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Olamycat

Olamycat New Member

is Dune cruising is allowed anywhere in Michigan? if not, where is dune cruising allowed and can I use my own vehicle?

2. Danny

Danny Moderator

Dune cruising is only allowed in a few areas such as at Silver Lake Sand Dunes Michigan where you can hire 4x4's. If you have a 4x4, or ATV you can bring it with you, and test your skills.

However, there are regulations in place that include a sound check on your vehicle with a limit on the noise it can put out, a voucher system to reduce the build-up of riders waiting in long lines, and mounting a 10 foot orange flag to the front of your vehicle.

3. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I know that an outfitter is Sagutuck (along the Lake Michigan Shore between Grand Rapids and Chicago) also gives dune tours. This is a cute little arts town that's totally worth a visit.

4. manOnMoon

manOnMoon New Member

dune-cruising in Michigan

test your vehicle and your sand driving skills, you will not find a better spot than Silver Lake State Park. In fact, if my memory serves me right, no other dune area in Michigan allows vehicle access. Btw, if you want to rent a buggy, you'll need a valid driver's license, a watch and some type of protective eye covering. good luck

5. HHH2

HHH2 New Member

Saugatuck Dune Ride

You can do buggy rides with Saugatuck Dune Ride which are like roller coaster rides and history lessons all rolled into one! if you are in a large group you can book a Saugatuck Dune Ride for you and your friends with a trained tour guide. The twists and the turns all up and down the dunes are mind-boggling and some of the drops are real daring even for adrenaline junkies.